Nevada CCW range qualifications: details requested.

Chuck Dye

A search of this forum and the web for details of the live fire qualifications for a Nevada CCW permit has not proven productive. Can anyone tell me, in detail, what to expect? I will be including a 1911, SIG-Sauer P226, and Colt 1903 in my first go round. I am confident of the .45ACP and 9mm, but suspect I will need to first run a box or three through the .32ACP and hope someone (some several) can give me an idea of the criteria I must meet to qualify. I have no expectation of actually carrying the 1903 but want to include it because I can. Who knows, maybe even the Redhawk Hunter :D.

EricN

Sorry about my not answering you sooner....

Sorry about my not answering you sooner but I didnt see your post.

Nevada is as Im sure you know a "shall issue state". CCW classes are usually between 75 and 125 bucks and are approximately 8 hours long. Included in the 8 hours is or at least should be instruction on firearm safety, the when and where you can carry, marksmanship, etc. While the state does not restrict the amount of firearms you may qualify with most CCW schools do try and restrict you to 2-4 depending. Then again most will allow you to qualify with as many as you want provided you have set it up with them ahead of time. Extra range time charges or even just a prearranged tip to the instructor may be required for excessive qualifications.

Actual live fire qualifications are usually done at 3, 7, and 15 yards at a full size target (B27). Schools here seem to each have their own rules for live fire qualification. Some require 5 rounds with your right hand only and 5 rounds with your left hand only at 3 yards and then 10 rounds each freestyle at both 7 and 15 yards. Some have a time limit (usually 1 minute at each distance) and others do not. Basic proficency seems to be whats required not incredible accuracy.

The school you go to should provide you with all forms youll need to take to the sheriffs office. Costs usually run 60 bucks for the sheriff plus 45 to the highway patrol and another 15 or so for fingerprints and pictures if I remember correctly. Your CCW should arrive in the mail within 90 days of visiting the sheriffs office.

One recomendation regarding schools. The cheapest is not always the cheapest long term. Some schools offer discounts and/or free qualifications as you increase your firearm collection. Some also have reduced rates on out of state CCWs for Florida and Utah if taken at the same time. Just something to think about.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to give me an IM.

EricN