Nerve damage from a .22 H&R?

Chris Pinkleton

I made my first "impulse" handgun buy right before Christmas -- a H&R 930 .22LR sitting in the gun shop's case on commission. What can I say -- the price was right and I've been needing a .22 for quite a while. The gun is pretty accurate, if a bit small for my hand, and the trigger pull is very heavy, probably 20+lbs. This may be the source of my problem. After I ran 50 rounds though the 930, I had some pronounced numbness in my trigger finger. This has never happened to me before, even when firing heavy n-frame Smiths. Now, 2weeks later, my finger is still completely numb along one side at the tip.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of injury when only firing a few rounds through a gun? Any advice, aside from getting a new revolver? (I can't get rid of the 930, it already has a name-- "Sting")

Also, does anyone know of good on-line info about H&R revolvers?
My searches on TFL and AltaVista have produced only minimal hits.

Thanks in advance,
Chris P.

C.R.Sam

That's not at all good. Trigger pull in combination with a strange grip on the gun would be my guess. Trigger fix is in order. You might also try stickin things on the grip area of the gun to change your hold.

Please let us know if you get it whipped.

Sam

hwyhobo

Now, 2weeks later, my finger is still completely numb along one side at the tip. [...] Has anyone else experienced this kind of injury when only firing a few rounds through a gun?
Chris, how do squeeze the trigger? With the top finger pad, or with the joint? Strong pressure in the joint area could cause this. I once did that to myself with a bow string, but the pull was, of course, much greater. Nevertheless, 20 pounds sounds definitely excessive for any trigger. I would have someone see if it can be fixed. BTW, in my case it took close to a month before any sensation started to return and another two months before the feeling was fully restored.

Hal

H&R revolvers are usually D/A in name only. 20# sounds about right for the one I own also.

I hate to admit this in a public forum, but yes, I have felt the same thing you describe. It wasn't from the H&R though. {{{looks left-looks right}}} {{whispers}}-{{my nephew gave me one of those lighters that is shaped like a gun. The thing has a real small narrow *trigger* and it must have a 35# *pull*. I only use it when he's around, and then only just a few times}}

Back to the H&R. Use it S/A and enjoy it. There's a bajillion of them out there, but you seldom hear anybody talk about them. A couple of things I've seen on mine, my father-in-law's and my wife's (late)uncle's:
(All three of us own(ed) a different model)

Horrible D/A trigger, but usually a very good S/A trigger. (duh RAE, that's the topic)

Don't ever,ever, ever dry-fire one. The cylinders are soft and mark very easily.

Don't *slam* the action. By that I mean don't cock one real fast ala quick draw. They seem to go out of time real easy and start to shave lead if you do.<--I learned the hard way :(

Chris Pinkleton

Thanks guys! Hwyhobo, I don't think I was using the joint, but my injury sure is consistent with what you describe, and I have been known to have less than perfect trigger control.

RAE, thanks for the "public confession." I'll stay away from D\A from now on. Thanks also for the H&R info -- mine is in great shape except for severe marking on the cylinder, so it seems like their revolvers are consistent, at least.

I would like to build up the grip, though, even if I'm only going to shoot S/A. What would leave the least residue on the grip if I wrap it(I assume aftermarket grips are unavailible)? Tennis grip tape? Anyone have a better idea?

Also, does anyone know of an easy way to reduce trigger pull in a 930? I can't see spending more than $50 or so -- the 930 only set me back $120 and the sights are no good for D/A anyway -- but that D/A pull, while ultra heavy, is also very smooth, and it'd be beautiful at 12 lbs or so.

Still, the 930 is a lovely cheapo S/A .22. Now I just need the cash for a nice Buckmark for it to share ammo with . . .

Last edited:

Hal

Chris,
Been there, done that,,trying to get a decent D/A trigger pull on an H&R. The mechanics are all wrong for it. Unlike other D/A's,,Smiths and Colts for example,, there isn't any mechanical advantage built into the firing mechanism. The trigger pull does a direct link to the main spring. The only way to lighten the trigger is to remove a couple of coils from the main spring. Once you do that, you start getting light strikes and misfires.

H&R's aren't really cheap, they're designed to be made cheaply,,aka simpler. Simple = less parts = lower cost and lower labor costs fitting those parts.

Just enjoy it as a S/A. One of the reasons I feel the S/A trigger is so good is probably due to the heavy strain of the main spring. The heavy strain makes for a very positive let off. They're good little shooters that'll last a long time if you baby them a little.