Nero Wolfe

jeffelkins

Any Nero Wolfe fans here?

A creation of author Rex Stout, consulting detective Nero Wolfe first appeared on the scene in 1934, in the novel 'Fer-de-Lance'. Mr. Stout chronicled the adventures of Nero Wolfe from 1934 until his death in 1975, with the exception of the years of WWII.

Nero Wolfe weighs 7/8ths of a ton and (almost) never leaves his Manhattan brownstone home on Thiry-fifth street on business. He's assisted by the intrepid Archie Goodwin (his legman) who goes out and about doing the dirty work.

His passions are eating meals provided by his private chef Fritz Brenner, tending orchids in his rooftop greenhouse and reading books. He hates to work and Archie has to nag him into activity.

A&E will be presenting a movie version of Stout's novel 'The Golden Spiders' this Sunday starting at 8pm Eastern. Numerous repeats are scheduled as well.

Gunslinger

I can't really say I'm a fan but I do recall the short lived television series starring William Conrad as Wolfe. Lee Horsely also known for his role as Matt Houston in the series Houston and Ethan Allan Cord in Guns of Paradise played Goodwin. I believe Conrad, who also played the very capable Frank Cannon in the televion series named for the lead character, weighed in considerably more than that. In fact by the time he was in Jake and the fat man I think he did weigh right at 1750 pounds. ;)

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

jeffelkins

The Conrad NW character was an abomination :(

NW was cleanshaven for one. Conrad played the character with a beard. Well, in one book NW had a beard...he was on the run and disguised.

I hated the show when it was new and revisited it recently on the TVland cable network. Age didn't improve it, it was horribly miscast throughout.