Neighbors Ruger LCP

velocette

My neighbor, a fellow firearms enthusiast, just bought himself a shiny new Ruger LCP. Of course he paid too much, but the pistol is in his pocket now, not in the store. He brought it over to show off this morning. So I field stripped it, polished and smoothed a few a few rough spots like
the feed ramp, chamber mouth and breech face, lubricated the accessable moving parts with good oil or as appropriate, Brownells action lube grease, disassembeld the magazine to de-burr that. Interestingly, the magazine had no sharp edges nor any burrs. Much better than the usual.
Then we went off to a local range for a test sessiion. The little pistol worked just fine. No failures of any kind through over 100 rds. Trigger pull is reasonable and all the bullets hit the paper in areas that would cause pain in a real target. Recoil is less than I would expect for such a light pistol.
Overall, a worthy pocket companion and money well spent.
Makes me think of trading off my Seecamp LS .32.

Roger

katana8869

I have loved my LCP since the moment that I picked it up. I like it better than any small auto that I have ever had.

I have read alot of post from people complaining about the recoil of the LCP and to be honest, I have no idea what the heck they are talking about. When I shoot mine I usually fire about 50 rounds per session and I find it to be suprisingly comfortable. I always wish I could shoot it more but cost/availability of .380 ammo demands restraint (the gun's only downfall :( )

Mine lives in my pocket. It's barely noticable and it's always there. At 5-7yards I can draw it and easily dump the magazine into an area the size of a sheet of notebook paper. The LCP is a perfect "always" gun IMO.

bigghoss

got my LCP for $330 plus an inexpensive IWB holster the owner threw in. oiled it up quite a bit and ran 50 rounds through it without a hitch. I just wish I'd cleaned out the store for ammo because I can't find it anywhere else and the store is a half hour drive. I thought it was a bit pricey there but then I found out it's even more expensive on the net and it's all backordered.

Cheapshooter

Ran over 100 rounds through mine when brand new. No polishing or de-burring anything. Just a couple drops of Remoil in the right spots. Loads were Rem. UMC FMJ, Speer Gold Dot, and some that could be called handloads from a small time "basement" manufacturer. All worked perfectly. Even the no-name rounds that had a decidedly lighter recoil. Going to run another 100 or so, just to make sure. Will probably function test with Hornady CD I have ordered when I get them. So far I am totaly pleased with the Elsie Pea!

ttheel

My LCP has functioned flawlessly since I bought it at the first of October. No polishing or anything, it just functioned right out of the box. I was actually shocked at how well it shoots. Accuracy is not an issue at 8 yards for me. Recoil is very managable for such a lightweight pistol in .380.

seed

It's funny how with it copying the Kel Tec and with newer offerings from Sig, Kahr and even Diamondback the LCP has not garnered the true respect it deserves. It is a well made, well finished and reliable small and light .380 that does NOT hurt to shoot. The only criticism I have heard about it that holds water (other than the strange two-stage trigger) is that it is a little more snappy than the Kel Tec...but it also has a lighter recoil spring. That is easily changed if you feel the need.

gregjc9

I finally picked up an LCP a couple of weeks ago at the Dulles gun show. Found a dealer that was selling them for $299, couldnt pass it up. I've probably put about 100 rnds through it. It seems to shoot left a little, but that could be due to my big mitts. Anyway, I really like this thing, it carries very well in my front pocket. :D

MGMorden

Got one of these myself a week ago. Have put 50 rounds through it so far right out of the box. Function has been fine and build quality high. Hard for me to shoot though. Had 3 other guns with me at the range that day (all full to mid size handguns) and was doing fine with them. Picked up the LCP and was only hitting paper 50% of the time at 20 yards - what I was hitting was impacting very, very low. I just need to practice a bit more I think. The other 3 guns I was shooting in single-action and the heavy striker/DAO pull on the LCP definitely isn't what I'm used to.

Laserlips

MGMorden:

Respectfully, I think expecting much accuracy from the mini mousegun LCP at 20 yards is unrealistic..

Certainly nothing wrong with shooting from that distance for pleasure while casual plinking, but the LCP, as with all mouseguns, is IMHO, designed up for close up and personal self defense.

A target pistol the LCP is not.. :eek:

I consider a reasonable self defense distance for my wife and myself to be around 7 yards max for our larger pistols, but only 3 yards for the mini's...

When I got my LCP I practiced from three yards just to determine basic accuracy and point of impact and was pleasantly surprised to find I could put all 7 rounds in the X ring.. The pistol functioned perfectly right out of the box with both fmj's and jhp's and IMO for self defense purposes the LCP is a very good choice.

I worry more about reliability in my personal defense choice, and all other details fall in line from there.

My wife (who is only 5 feet tall) likes the LCP, shoots it well, and chances are this one will wind up being her cc choice..

I don't mean to offend you by my comments, and you never said you were shooting the LCP at 20 yards for self defense purposes.

Give ME 20 yards in a self defense situation and I'm be cutting a choogie in the other direction, but if someone backs me in a corner, up close and personal, I think the LCP will do it's part.:)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

ttheel

Got one of these myself a week ago. Have put 50 rounds through it so far right out of the box. Function has been fine and build quality high. Hard for me to shoot though. Had 3 other guns with me at the range that day (all full to mid size handguns) and was doing fine with them. Picked up the LCP and was only hitting paper 50% of the time at 20 yards - what I was hitting was impacting very, very low. I just need to practice a bit more I think. The other 3 guns I was shooting in single-action and the heavy striker/DAO pull on the LCP definitely isn't what I'm used to.

20 YARDS!!!! Good gosh dude. That is not the intended purpose of a mouse gun. Practice with it from 5-10 yards and forget it. It is very accurate for such a small gun at those distances but to expect much from it at 20 yards is just expecting to much.