Neighbor w/Handgun Shoots Wife Killer

BillCA

Bethel Township, PA.
An 11 year old boy watched as his father stabbed his mother to death during a daylight homicide. A neighbor ran across the street to find a man stabbing a woman repeatedly. The neighbor fired 3 shots when the man advanced on him screaming "kill me! kill me!" No charges have been filed against the neighbor.

Video report: http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=81833

BillCA

Addendum: The killer apparently ran towards the neighbor yelling "Kill me!" and holding the knife. The neighbor fired three shots. News reports say only that the man was struck in the shoulder area, but then turned his knife on himself. The killer was DOA at the hospital.

It does sound like the husband lost it - completely. The sad part is that their son witnessed it. That's gonna require some serious therapy for the boy.

But I have to say, if I see a man stabbing his wife repeatedly and he comes towards me with the bloody knife screaming "Kill me" or "Shoot me", I'd be tempted to oblige him.

But I have to say, if I see a man stabbing his wife repeatedly and he comes towards me with the bloody knife screaming "Kill me" or "Shoot me", I'd be tempted to oblige him.
Same here...and I find the fact that the shooter only managed one shoulder hit out of three fired rounds a statement as to how most people do not know how to properly shoot their handguns.

SecDef

Same here...and I find the fact that the shooter only managed one shoulder hit out of three fired rounds a statement as to how most people do not know how to properly shoot their handguns.

1) A target (even man shaped) is not the same as targeting someone you know.
2) Was a kill shot the objective? [I was unable to view video]

Kreyzhorse

I find the fact that the shooter only managed one shoulder hit out of three fired rounds a statement as to how most people do not know how to properly shoot their handguns.

After witnessing that attack the gentleman might have been rattled pretty good. His objective was to stop the attack which he did. Not sure what distance his would be attacker was at so I can't beat on the guy for missing twice.

Lawyer Daggit

Sounds like a murder - 'suicide' by other to me- interesting variation on suicide by cop.

I wish the fellow had incapacitated him. Bastard should have had to stand trial for that.

After witnessing that attack the gentleman might have been rattled pretty good. His objective was to stop the attack which he did. Not sure what distance his would be attacker was at so I can't beat on the guy for missing twice.
You train so that you can still shoot while "rattled." His objective was to stop the attack on himself since he fired after the man stopped attacking the now dead wife and came at him with the knife. He failed in this objective. The assailant died, according to the story, from a self imposed stab wound after receiving a superficial shoulder wound. If he had intended to kill/harm the neighbor he would have probably succeeded since we all know the knife verses gun rules at close range.

SecDef

Point taken.

I think I prefer to keep my brain in control rather than instincts. Instincts tell you to keep firing until you run out of ammo. Instincts tell you to run away. Instincts change your vision, your time perception, isolate your target disregarding object/people behind. Like I said, one needs to train in an environment so that an adrenaline rush DOESN'T affect your shot.

I think the shoot was a good shoot. The attack was stopped. Not my problem if he stabs himself. Bonus points for being able to look the kid in the eye and know you shot his dad in the shoulder instead of a head shot right in front of him.

BillCA

Let's consider this...

It happened on a sunny Sunday afternoon - broad daylight - in a residential area that by some accounts is a good, quiet area.

The neighbor may (or may not) have known the berserk neighbor personally (no indication). He ran down to the neighbor's driveway where the killing occurred. (Fitness condition unknown.)

He may (or may not) have seen the 11 year old boy present at the scene.

The boy's father approached him with the knife, yelling "kill me!" - something I'm sure that startled and/or frightened him. (it's wholly unexpected by your average Joe.)

He fired 3 rounds. Nominally we can say it was likely to be under 15 yards presuming he was at least near the curb. It's rarely longer than that to a gargage door.

He may (or may not) have had to worry about making the shot with the youngster in the background.

In the sudden rush, it would not be uncommon for him to pull his shots right. Why? Sticking the finger all the way into the triggerguard and yanking on the trigger usually pulls the shots right (RH shooter) and hits the suspect in the left side of the body.

Presuming the shooter-neighbor was your average gun owner without hours of dedicated training (or even with minimum CCW training) I think he did okay.

At a guess, he arrived on scene too late to help the deceased. If he was reluctant to kill his neighbor, especially in front of the boy, he sought to incapacitate rather than kill. If he missed, he stopped shooting when the assailant turned his knife on himself (no longer a danger to the shooter). In short, he was within the law just about any way you try to twist it around.

Note: I don't know how many of you have heard the screams of a person (woman) in mortal peril. It's different than one of plain fear, such as finding something/one dead or being assaulted. There's a strange component to the scream that says "I'm going to die" as opposed to "someone help me!" I think it's a very-high-frequency note in the scream. I've heard it twice and can tell you that one scream is "help" and the other is "I'm about to die" (even if just a belief, not in fact).