Needing to readjust grip every shot.

Davey

Took my new XD 45 to the range this past Friday for my second outing with it.

My first time out and the few other times I shot rentals I didn't have this problem however I found myself needing to readjust my grip after one or two shots. The gun feels comfortable in my hand and I'm also comfortable with the initial grip.

Am I not holding tight enough?

Thanks

dave

oldkim

making assumptions....

I'm going to make a few assumptions from what you have posted.

Meaning I'm going to assume.

1) you are relatively new to firearms and this particular firearm (2nd outing).
2) you have not shot this gun much (most likely less than 50 rounds)
3) you may not have shot other 45's much

Do you need to tighten your grip?
Yes.

Common mistakes -
First what is a proper grip?
How tight should you grip?

I try to keep things a bit simple (KISS method). A good grip is a good strong handshake. Shake someone's hand. Note: the webbing of your thumb is fully engaged to the other hand (webbing to webbing). Translation: when you grip your firearm the webbing of your thumb should be a bit high and snug up to the frame of the firearm - there should be no "gaps." When there is a gap it leaves the gun not fully gripped in the shooters hands and therefore when fired will shift in position - causing the shooter to "re-grip" as now the firearm has shifted in the hand.

How hard to grip? Depends on your upper body strength (hand strength) but ballpark around 60-70%. Just like a good strong handshake.

The grip..... is the foundation of your shooting - just like anything else if you don't have a good foundation then everything else you do is almost meaningless.

You've invested in a firearm and your time. Now spend a bit more and get some professional instruction from a qualified local firearms instructor. You'll save so much money and headache in the long run.

Major Beef

This is a nutnfancy video of a CZ versus M&P shootout. There's an old guy that's a pretty decent shot (first appears around 5 minute mark), who re-grips after almost every single round. Is this what you're doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTa_e3Xm6eg

Anyway, I don't know what my point is, your question just reminded me of the guy in the video.

Davey

I watched the video...That's not entirely what I'm having to do. I'm having to adjust both hands, not just the one.

tristar viper

Nutnfancy's videos are great. However long they are, I watch.
I have an XD .45, and I shoot each mag with no readjustment necessary. I'd say your grip is incorrect or as has been mentioned you're not holding on tight enough. It's a very easy .45 to shoot in my opinion, comfortable as heck with less recoil than most .45's I have shot.

Jim243

Davy

Get the Houge slip on grip for the XD. It makes the pistol grip a little wider and easier to control. Should get rid on your problem.

Jim

IMG_1495.jpg

sliponby

+1 for the Hogue grips. +1 for Nutnfancy also. He may be a little long winded at times but he speaks from his heart and I enjoy his videos. His life philosophies very much mirror mine.

mete

My hand is such that with my 1911 it doesn't really touch the grips very much. Mostly the front and backstraps .Therefore I've checkered front and backstraps on all my pistols !! A firm grip is absolutely necessary !!
Remember that handgun point of impact is sesnsitive to grip .If you have to change grip every shot the point of impact will change every shot.

Davey

Yes I'm a new shooter in general. So far I've put 200 through my 45 plus a couple hundred more with rented XDs.

I'll work on gripping tighter before I resort to aftermarket grips and such.

Thanks for the input everyone.

dcody40

You have the right idea now some more !

Hey Davey, you are on the right track, but one thing you may not realize is this, you being a new shooter, your hands are not used too the forces being used in a grip of a recoiling handgun, you keep shooting and being patient, and after awhile it will start to feel better, you may notice your hands (muscles) are sore, this is a new activity for you and like everything else, you just have to get conditioned, I found out along time ago when I had a shooting layoff, that it took time for my hands to get accustomed to shooting again, I was used to shooting 300-500 rounds with comp guns several times a week in prep and practice for the upcoming match season.
if you shoot regularly you will get broken in just like a new gun, and things will fall into place. Hope this make sense, as I know allot of new shooters that just can't get it figured out and can't relax, after some pep talk and almost forcing them to just relax and keep shooting, then (most) start shooting better. You can't become a good shooter with a 50 round box of ammo every couple of months, oh and don't blame the gun, it's only doing what your asking it to do. Enjoy and be patient, practice allot and who knows, you may have to get into reloading so you have all the ammo you need to stay proficient. Oh and yes we download the ammo for competition, nobody says you have to fire full power loads all the time, this makes a difference also. Better practice sessions, not as tired, equals a better shooter.

Regards

Duane USN/ret
Reloading with Blue/orange/red/green stuff !