Needing Help Deciding - Taurus

Bullrock

I also live in a rural area where there are no shooting ranges with "rentals" to try. I have a little over $400.00 to spend on a new handgun. I have it narrowed down to a Walther 9mm, which I can't afford. I did find the Walther PK380 for $335.00, and for me that's a little short on power, and capacity of only 8 + 1.

The two that look good to me is the Taurus 809 (9mm) with a 3.5" barrel; Single/Double action; 12 + 1 capacity for $348. It is rated as a compact...and I heard it may be discontinued or is being discontinued, or something.

And the The 24/7 G2, 9mm whose Features include “Strike Two” capability, "a new trigger safety and balanced spring pressure for extraordinarily fast shooting."

The barrel is 3.5 with one 17 + 1 Mag; and one 13 + 1 Mag. The action is SA/DA, with Adj. rear sight. And, the cost is $375.00. I don't have any problems with Taurus quality.

Then, there's that dam good looking Ruger SR9c for my entire wad of $399. I have told myself more than once, I would not buy another Ruger without testing the trigger, and I don't think I'm gonna...Unless someone talks me out of it!

BGutzman

Look at Bersa they are a very good inexpensive gun, far superior to almost everything in the price range IMHO.. My wife and I bought 3 Taurus guns each failed in its own way...

Hansam

+1 for a Bersa. Of course it'll also cost your whole wad but it'll be worth it.

As for the Ruger SR9C its also well worth the $399. It'll be more reliable than any Taurus you'll buy and Ruger's customer service will most likely be more enjoyable to deal with if you ever have to deal with them.

So ditch the Taurus pistols and get either a Bersa (I'd recommend the UC 9mm Pro) or get the Ruger.

This is coming from a guy who owns all three brands mentioned in this post. Of all three I'd choose the Ruger first then the Bersa in a VERY close second with Taurus a distant third.

Bullrock

Well, I've owned a Taurus 92SS5 for many years. It was fun to shoot, reliable, and a few years back I even knocked off a few 92fs' with it. I've also owned the Mill Pro 9mm, and the Tracker. All good guns, with no problems. That's why I posted that I don't have a problem with Taurus Quality.

I have ruled out the Bersa, had one, didn't like it! The Kahr, and several others. I have nor ruled out the Ruger SR9c, or a PPS for $399.00 Yeah Right :rolleyes:

thunter270

Hand Gun choice

For just a little more money you can get handguns that you might be very pleased with. Everyone has their own budget, but if you can save a little more cash, the low $400 range has nice choices.
Here are a few I would look into for that price range.

Stoeger Cougar
Sig 2022
CZ PO7
Eaa Witness
FNH FNP9

rickpaul

Taurus

I had a Taurus PT111. I don't know if it applies, but I hated it. It had many stovepipes and I felt like I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I recently purchased (at a local gun show) a Ruger P95 with a stainless steel slide. I just got back from the range. My two sons and I put about 200 rounds through it. I was using cheap Ultramax Remans. Not a single failure, very manageable recoil and accurate as all get out.

I love this gun. It's well within your budget as well.

btw, the gun I really wanted was the sr9c. I love the p95 ($100 cheaper) that i don't feel as if I "settled." wonderful gun. would recommend it to anyone.

Kreyzhorse

If you are short on cash, don't waste it on Taurus. Not to say that they don't produce some decent guns, but their quality control is hit or miss. Their customer service is pretty hit or miss too.

I'd suggest looking at what Ruger has to offer. They produce well made, reliable guns and stand behind them.

teedles915

Not sure how much over $400 that you have, and if you have to include shipping and fees in the budget or not. But here is the Watlher P99 DAQ for a pretty decent price. We got one for the wife, and it shoots great, one of the better triggers I've felt on a polymer pistol.

http://centerfiresystems.com/WAL-P99COMPACT.aspx

I have never dealt with their mail order business, so I can't attest either way for them there. We walked in and picked it up.

C0untZer0

You don't have to search very far to find people who have and are currently encountering serious problems with their Taurus firearms.

Here's one from yesterday:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484117

If you want to find more serious problems than just the finish just search on Taurus.

I would particularly pay attention to those posts where owners contact Taurus and Taurus tells them the owner that he or she will have to ship it and no mention of Taurus picking up the cost of shipping. Or even those times when Taurus initially refuses to pay for shipping.

Some people have shipped their non-functioning Taurus firearm on their own dime. if you look at how many trips Taurus firearms make - that can quickly overcome the cost difference between a Taurus and some other manufacturer.

I can't vouch for the SR9c trigger but - I wouldn't get a gun that is going to spend more time in transit than in your possession because the alternative gun had a trigger that didn't feel as nice.

Bullrock

Thanks teedles915! $438 isn't a bad price for a Walther99c.

A short time ago I posted on a Taurus Mill Pro-9, and didn't recieve any negative replies about Taurus quality. In fact most replies were very positive. Instead I chose the Cougar 8000F.

Taurus Customer Service (support) is another matter. I have never owned a Taurus with problems so I have never had to deal with Taurus Support.

Because of KFAFT, kan't remember a friggin thing, I may have owned a Ruger P90 or 95 in the past. I'm pretty sure I posted on it, and will look it up later today. So that's bringing me very close to Rugers. This may be my last purchase so I'd like to make it a good one.

which walther? walther quality is very model dependent. if you are looking at a later generation p99 or a ppq or pps, you will be fine. i would def go with one of those over a taurus. i would also go with the sr9 over the taurus. i owned a taurus 917c and 24/7 pro. both were horrible.