Needed this like I need a hole in the head...

stopped off at my gunshop this afternoon.

Didn't find anything that I REALLY wanted, so I bought a VERY gently used Ruger P-89 semi.

$188 or so out the door...

JohnKSa

Administrator
What a deal...

I've been keeping my eye open for a deal on a nice used stainless P89DC or P95DC.

LUPUS

You stole the pistol from the dealer as Tuco did in the motion picture '' The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ''.
The shop owner still owes you some money to complete the scene.

Do not listen to any kind of BS circulating around the net about the Ruger P series pistols.
Despite of their higher tolerances in fit, they are pretty accurate and reliable pistols. They are built like a tank,too.
Unless you get a very very rare seperate lemon from Sturm&Ruger, it is a kind of pistol that will take unlimited amount of punishment while offering sufficient amount of shooting pleasure.

Regards.

Last edited:

denfoote

There is nothing wrong with the P89.
I've had one for a couple of years.
Although, I prefer the P95, the P89 is good.

chris in va

Good grief what a deal. The guys at Gander Mountain would pass out if they knew about that.:D

Hey Mike, that wouldn't happen to be Virginia Arms would it? They have a really good consignment section.

darrentxs

That's hard to beat at that price. Perhaps you can trade it for/towards something else you need down the road.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Mike Irwin said:
$188 or so out the door...

I need a fugly Ruger boat anchor of a crunchenticker like a hen needs a flag, but I believe I'd have bit on that myself. Keep it on hand for a training gun for newbs, give it as a gift, use it for a loaner or for trade fodder down the road... Yeah, I don't think I could have passed on a sub-$200 Ruger centerfire.

Sturmgewehre

That could be said about every gun I've purchased since 1995. :) It's not a matter of "need", it's a matter of "want".

Congrats on the new pistola.

Chris, yes, Virginia arms.

Their consignment section has been kind of slim for the last few months, so I was happy to see this one. Hell, they had a consignment Kahr in the case that was only a few $ less than a new one. Don't know what that was about.

I'm going to clean it up (someone was shooting lead out of it, it looks like) and will probably end up giving it to my brother. I want to make sure that it works first, though. There's a little wear on the muzzle and on the high points of the decocker, but that's about it.

I can't see what I'd do with it otherwise, other than using it as trade bait. I mean I have a High Power, a P7, and a Radom. I've gotten rid of my Beretta and my Kahr. I just don't need another 9mm around the house wanting to be fed.

SouthpawShootr

Congratulations on an excellent deal.

they had a consignment Kahr in the case that was only a few $ less than a new one. Don't know what that was about.

I see that all the time. I always check the used and consignments everytime I enter a gunshop. Sometimes you get outstanding deals. Sometimes you gotta shake your head an laugh. I recently saw a Sig 220 on consignment for $900. The shop had a new one that looked to be exactly the same for $750. :eek: Recently got an email from an acquaintance letting me know of a recent production Springfield Armory M1A. Price was $1600 fired less than 100 rounds. Price at a local gunshow for the same rifle NIB? $1599. Wasn't actually interested in the Springfield, just using it as an example. Then there was the Ruger SP101 9mm I got a couple years ago LN for $250. Or the Sig 232SL with factory night sights, paperwork, and not a scratch on it for $400.

10 MickeyMouse

Any thing that goes Bang is worth that much..

I think most of us will respectfully disagree with that.

Mike Irwin-

Congrats. Kinda gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling when you find deals like that, doesn't it? That's how I felt when I grabbed a really nice Model 19-4 P&R for $199, or my ~90% Remington Model 51 .380 for $150.

DonR101395

Yep, they are out there. I bought one 2-3 years ago for $175. For that price I took it, even though I didn't need it. I just can't pas up a deal.

jakeswensonmt

P89 is an underrated pistol, gets no respect. Sure, it's bulky, but all that mass makes for the lightest 9mm recoil that I know of, plus my mitts like the big grip (add a Hogue to your P89, will improve ergos lots!) It shoots straighter than I do, and with the light recoil can make rapid accurate followups. Decent capacity, as reliable as they get (100% cannot be topped).

armedandsafe

My P85 has only about 50,000 through it, so I can't speak to reliability as can some here. That said, I'd have jumped on that deal, even knowing it would mean a month in the doghouse. :D

Pops

DonR101395

Speaking needing holes in the head. I just bought a 3 screw pre-adjustable sight Single Six today on GB. I couldn't pass it up for $225. It's not above 85ish%, but it will make a nice plinking gun for out in the work shop:)