Need value help; M1 Carbine

KS1911

I recently acquired an Underwood M1 Carbine on trade and am interested in value information. I have found greatly varying prices and would appreciate all that "expert" help we have on the forum. The rifles info is below:

Wood is quite nice for the age, only one gash near the oiler
Repro sling an oiler
It is hard to read under the rear sight but it is marked "Underwood", "xxx2600", just below this it is marked with what looks like a lightly stamped circle and "B" just to the right touching the circle.
In front of the bolt, it says "U.S. CARBINE", "CAL .30 MI".
Barrel is stamped "Underwood" and what looks to be "1943", under that is the ordnance bomb and much below a "P" or a "D".

The bayonet with scabbard is marked "U.S.M8A1" and "PWH" on scabbard; bayonet has plastic grips and is marked "USM4", "IMPERIAL" with the ordnance bomb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
KS1911

Hellbilly5000

I cant help you buy I know people here can and will be more then happy to help.
I do suggest that you post a few pics, So it will be easier to value

KS1911

Thank you for the suggestion. Here are some photos.

m1-2.jpg

M1-1.jpg

m1-3.jpg

m1-4.jpg

wjkuleck

Without going into excrutiating detail, your Underwood would seem to have a matching barrel and receiver. The rear sight and barrel band are replacements (mandated upgrades during maintenance), which drop the collector value considerably. As for the balance of the piece, the various components with contractor markings should be those consistent with Underwoods, typically some variation of .U. or a subcontractor code including "U." The stock should be marked UEF/GHD.

What I'm grokking on here is a typical one-or-more-rebuild Carbine with mixed components. The collector value is based on completeness and correctness (necessary but not sufficient) combine with condition. At this point the value would be as a typical example, e.g., a "shooter." As such, the range might run from $500 to $750 for a decent specimen. A complete and correct Underwood with "condition" might be more like $750 to $1000.

Regards,

Walt