need value for an old Colt

Gun 4 Fun

My ffl friend has come into possesion of an old Colt Police Positive, and is trying to find the correct value for it. It is a .32 Colt, 4" bbl., blue finish in all original condition. Serial number 371735. It has the original box, but that is in somewhat rough condition. He says the finish is all intact with minor nicks to it, but no rust. He is going to try to send me pictures when he gets it all cleaned up. Anyone here have an idea what it is worth?

bob.a

I just took a look on gunbroker, saw a dozen or more. They seem to be in several flavors of .32 cal, from .32-30 to .32 S&W to ???. Most are around $300, with one really clean starting at 499.

Hope this helps.

Jim Watson

Double check the caliber. A .32 (long) Colt will be an older gun and worth less money than a .32 Colt New Police or .32 Police Positive which is the same as .32 S&W long and is a superior round. Unless it is in such fine condition that someone will want it for its age. Even a beat up box will help there.

Jim Watson

Not necessarily. A Police Positive Special has a longer frame and cylinder for .38 Special (and .32-20.) They made the Police Positive in .32 and .38 New Police up until WW II.

Gun 4 Fun

I called the guy and he says that it just says Police Positive. He is going to get back to me when he can look it over better for any other markings, and double check the caliber .

Jim Watson, -Is there something missing in your first post, or am I reading this wrong?

Double check the caliber. A .32 (long) Colt will be an older gun and worth less money than a .32 Colt New Police or .32 Police Positive which is the same as .32 S&W long and is a superior round. Unless it is in such fine condition that someone will want it for its age. Even a beat up box will help there.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Some folks consider the Colt DA's of the 1910-1940 era real sleepers and buy up nice ones. But in average condition, they only bring about $200-250 around here; a really nice one will go for $400, but that is about tops.

Jim

Gun 4 Fun

Well, I just got off the phone with him at his shop. He says that it say on the barrel-.32 Police CTG. That's it, other than the info I alreadyu posted, so that would make this a .32 S&W chambered gun correct? Value then?

BillCA

It is most likely chambered for the .32 S&W Long cartridge - aka the .38 Colt New Police cartridge.

Take a look on top of the barrel for the last patent date. The "First Issue" of this model will carry a last patent date of 1905. The "Second Issue" will carry a 1926 last patent date. Another visible "key" to identification is the top strap. A smooth top strap should be a first-issue while a checkered or serrated topstrap should be a 2nd issue.

Both the 1st & 2nd Issue guns carry about the same values. In 90% condition, I'd guess anywhere from about $300 to $340 - the higher number if the original grips are included and the original box.

An excellent condition specimen might bring $400 from someone who loves this little jewels. These are great little guns but with not a lot of power. .32 Long wadcutters are the best for them - either for practice or "social use".

Gun 4 Fun

Bill, it has the 1926 patent date on it. IT has the original grips, they are brown in color, not black. It has the box, but is in bad shape.

Thanks for the help here.;)

krloz

My father has a Colt .32 Police Positive in its original box and want to sell it.
The serial number is 117836 and the patent dates listed liste on top of the barrel are Aug 5 1894, June 5 1900 and July 4 1905.

How can I get a rough value for this gun?

Thanks,
Carlos

BillCA

My father has a Colt .32 Police Positive in its original box and want to sell it.
The serial number is 117836 and the patent dates listed liste on top of the barrel are Aug 5 1894, June 5 1900 and July 4 1905.
It'll be the same as the above... Values are dependent upon condition of the finish and the gun's mechanical condition. Most of the good ones just get to 95% and values are about $350ish and move downward as finish levels deteriorate. If it's all original and in excellent shape, it can bring upwards of $550. Have a gunsmith or gunshop evaluate the gun's condition and use that as a guide. A like-new specimen could fetch as much as $700.