Need to send a gun back

JMP

Hi guys, I have a 700 in .308 that I'm sending back to Remington. Just over 3" with factory ammo and just under 2" with reloads - all out of a vice. I talked to a Remington rep that was at Bass Pro Shops last weekend and he said that that's bad enough to send it back. I called Remington yesterday and they said they'd send out a shipping label to send it back. I've never done this so I'm wondering if any of you have, and what it entails. I don't have the original box it came in so I'll have to figure something out for that.

Any advice?

Thanks

smoakingun

find a box long enough, or go to a gun shop and see if they have any they are going to toss. pack it up, put the lable on it, hand it to the ups guy

overland

You can get rifle shipping boxes at UPS stores. They are made to hold the original rifle carton. They are pretty cheap. Wrap it up very well and put it in the rifle box. You can also use a golf bag box but those are pretty big. I sent a Remington BDL back to them last December. Got it back in just over two weeks. Really good service. They have an online repair tracking service so you can follow the progress of your repair online. You might end up with a new firearm. No complaints. The UPS store up where I am will not accept firearms. I had to take it to their depot for shipping. Fed Ex and the post office however will ship firearms.

ISP 5353

Bass Pro probably has some boxes, if you are close. Remington did some work on an 11-87 of mine and their turn around time was great. Good luck!

PetahW

[I called Remington yesterday and they said they'd send out a shipping label to send it back. I've never done this so I'm wondering if any of you have, and what it entails.]

As posted, box it up, WELL PADDED, and send it.

Manufacturers usually send what's known as a pre-paid shipping label, that has their UPS/FEDEX/etc number on it - so there's no shipping cost to the customer.

They will also bear the cost to ship it directly back to YOU.

FWIW, There is an exception under Federal Firearms Law, regarding interstate transfers, that allows the owner of ANY firearm to ship it out to, and receive the same firearm back from, any gun factory, gunsmith, gun customizer, or other repair facility - without having to go through an FFL holder.

The state/municipal laws of any gun owner's residence may, of course, vary from Federal Law - and may impose further restrictions.

oneoldsap

Put your rifle in a cheap , padded hard case then put the case in a box or make one at home . That $15.00 case is cheap insurance !

JMP

Thanks for the help everybody! This whole ordeal sounds a lot easier than I was making it out to be.

I think I will use the plastic case, I've got some of the cheap ones in the garage that I don't use anyway.

glazer1972

If they send you the label I believe you can just hand it to a driver somewhere or drop it off at the UPS Hub. If you print the label it has to go to the Hub.

dzavoina

Don't put the rifle in an expensive box, you most probably won't get the same box back that you sent it in.

The details are on the Remington customer service site.

overland

You won't get your original packing box back. Rem will send it in a new carton with a new owners manual. Its usually a "must sign for" delivery too since its a firearm.

JMP

Thanks again everyone!

Should I clean it before sending it or leave it as is? I haven't cleaned it since the last time I've shot it, but it's only got about 23 rounds through it since then.