Need to replace a gun

blchandl2

I have been holding a nickel plated, Colt Government 380 for a family member for several years. They are now on hospice care and have requested that I give the gun to their nephew once they pass.

I have enjoyed storing the gun all of this time. I have never shot it but it is an interesting piece. That said, I would like to find something to fill the empty space in the gun safe once I pass it on. I would prefer something in .380, 9mm, or 45 acp as to not introduce another caliber. I want something that is a looker but I also want to be able to shoot it with no remorse. A metal frame and semi-auto is a must.

I am open for suggestions.

Kodyo

As far as .380s go, i'd get a german PPK.
Don't get me wrong, I love my bersa and all, but you just can't beat the old PPK as far as finish goes.

robmkivseries70

Ammo wise,of the three, 9mm will be the cheapest to feed. You'll have to decide upon the effectiveness of 9mm vs. .45 yourself. :rolleyes: The difference is now that the piece is a tool. (Maybe) What do you want to do with it. Carry may be different from range time. Do you want to be chasing brass? What finish do you want? Good luck with your choice.
Best,
Rob

Smaug

What have you got?

It is hard to recommend something to fill in the gap, if we don't know what you've already got.

pilpens

1. Kimber Custom Target II in 9mm.
2. EAA witness elite 9mm.
3. Sig Sauer P228.
4. Kahr K9

There are many good 9mms. Need to shop around for what fits and features you like.

If .380: beretta 84/85, Sig 230/232

brabham78

When it comes to metal framed pistols that are "lookers", these are some of my favorites:

Beretta 85FS (.380)

Beretta 92FS (9mm)

CZ 75 (various models)

Sig P220 Carry (.45 ACP)

Sig P232 (.380)

Walther PPK (.380)

Kahr K9 Elite (9mm)

garryc

These are beautiful guns

CZ 97B

31189.jpg

blchandl2

I would like to keep it below $750.

I have the following:
P08 Luger
Taurus 99AF
G17
G26
RIA 1911
Springfield GI45
Astra Constable II
Walther PPKS
KT P3AT
ATI MS380
......plus various .22s and wheel guns

I have been looking at the Beretta 84 & 85 as well as the CZ's.

brabham78

I have been looking at the Beretta 84 & 85 as well as the CZ's.

Then you're on the right track :)

I don't own one yet, but there's something about the Beretta 85fs (single stack) that really pushes my buttons. They're expensive little things, but they sure have a high quality look and feel to them. If I had to vote on what is the most perfect looking handgun on the market, it'd be the 85fs. No doubt that's an subjective thing, but that's the way I see it.

CZ - Nice, especially the Compact (mid-sized?) aluminum framed models.

PCR (9mm), P-01(9mm), P-06 (.40 S&W).

Also another member on this forum is considering a CZ 75 B Stainless. It's worth looking at too, not to mention the CZ 97B shown above.

Last edited: