Need to remove primers

lokidansk

OK OK
I was stupid, I will leave it at that!!!!!
I have fully preped and primed cases that
I need to remove the primers from. Whats the best,
safest way? I'm thinking of soaking them in water overnight
and just doing a decap resize. If its easier to just toss them
them ok.they are 5.56 LC with cci 41 primers. Please dont
laugh to hard at me.

flyguy958

Safety glasses, ear protection and a Lee depriming die on your press. Go slow.

Done this many times. I then reuse them in plinking loads.

Wreck-n-Crew

I have accidently loaded up over 100 Magnum primers before I caught the mistake. They got mixed in with the regular pistol primer brass (about 75). I just punched them all out just like old primers. No worries. Safety glasses like regular loading and go to work!

lokidansk

thanks guys
ill go slow, they wont be reused and they will be
soggy LOL.

THANKS AGAIN
note to self: dont listen to wifes
day a work while priming.

not blaming her its all me!!!!!!

frogo207

FWIW dry them out and they will be OK to reuse in plinking ammo all the same. Getting them wet and drying does not ruin them.;) I have done this a time or two myself.

Gadawg88

You really don't need to soak them in water. Just slowly deprime them as you would a fired case. There is very, very, very little risk that one will go off. They are designed to ignite from a sudden and sharp impact, not slow steady pressure. They can be reused without issue. Just saying.

GJSchulze

Because the press arm is long you really can't move it fast enough to strike the primer sharply. And if it did go off it's covered by the die at the top and shell plate at bottom. I remove them and reuse them. Primers are not little bombs that will go off with a cross word or mean stare.

gojuice101

I deprime live primers all the time. It really isn't easy to set them off like that. I've never had one go off, nor do I know anyone who has. There really isn't a need to soak them before depriming. Easy enough just to pop them out and reuse them.

FrankenMauser

An overnight soak in water won't be enough to render them inert - especially in a case where the surface tension of the water tends to bridge the gap and trap air in the primer.

You'll need to be much more aggressive, or skip the "neutralization" entirely.

Me? ... I just decap them like a spent primer, but with a softer touch on the press handle.
And then I reuse them in plinking loads (not intended for semi-autos). ;)

BumbleBug

I've deprimed live primers also with no ill effects. Not sure what the actual problem with what you did is, but if you're still a bit shy, I don't see why you can't fire them without powder or bullets then start over.

...bug

Snyper

I still don't see the problem.
The primers are the right size, and loads can be adjusted to compensate for a magnum vs standard

skizzums

that's what I am saying, the are mil spec primers for .223. even if he didn't reize or something, he can just remove te decap pin.

lokidansk

thanks everybody
all have been deprimed and reprimed "i did not put them
in water" just deprimed slowly as you all suggested.
this all is from my being very new to reloading and
wanting everything as perfect as i can make it with
what i have. for me this is a chance to learn something new
and fun, i want to fix my messups. it would have been much
more easy to have just tossed the "miss primed" cases but i would have lost this lesson in doing so. i went though the same drill learning to make beer, its much cheaper and much easier to buy it. Not near as much fun as enjoying a bottle of your own and knowing its the best you could do.

thanks again guys

Snyper

more easy to have just tossed the "miss primed" cases
It would have been "more easy" to load a little less powder to compensate for the difference, and just use them.

Substituting magnum for regular primers is no big deal if you aren't talking about maxed out loads

9mmSkeeter

Wow, everyone is so careful here. I just pop them out like used primers, never had a problem. Heck I don't even wear safety goggles. Did about 200 deprimes of 40 s&w as I don't shoot it anymore and had a bunch of prepped cases.

Haha. Well, if you want to be that careful, do it. Maybe I am just careless.

I've done over 1,000 rounds popping out live primers and yet to have a problem. I use a lee single stage classic kit.