Need Suggestions For Beam Scale & Powder Measure

ryalred

I'm looking at several used beam scales on Ebay: Redding, Dillon, RCBS, and Lyman. Is there much difference in them and which would you recommend? (I have a Lee now, but am unhappy with it.)

Also, I have a Lee powder measure and have been pretty satisfied with it, but have been thinking about a Redding 3 powder measure. Does anyone have any experience with it and how it compares to the Lee?

RidgwayCO

I use my RCBS 1010 scale all the time, and it's always quick and accurate. They're fairly pricy new, but can sometimes be found used for a nice discount.

I've used the Lee Perfect Powder Measure (not sure what's so "perfect" about it...), but nothing I've seen compares to the Redding 3BR for consistent powder throws.

sserdlihc

I can tell you that i was so unhappy with my scale from Lee that i bought an electronic scale from rcbs. i am still using my perfect powder measure and it still works fine. I am going to step up to a combo soon.

Antihero47

Hmm.. I have a LEE Safety Scale and it works perfectly fine after zeroing it. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

VonFireball

Hmm.. I have a LEE Safety Scale and it works perfectly fine after zeroing it. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Well, you can't weigh larger bullets on it.

Aside from that, after you get done fumbling with the little slider to get it to the exact position, they work great.

I get so sick of people spending a fortune on stuff and then somehow they automatically think it's so much better than the cheaper version simply because they foolishly wasted a buck.

"Oh, it's not a Dillon/RCBS/Redding, it must not be any good"

That's the same guy who can't hit what he shoots at anyway, so what's the difference?

Last edited:

LHB1

My choice for best beam scale is the current RCBS Model 1010. I have the older version (made by Lyman/Ohaus) bought back in 1972 and it is still the final judge of bullet or powder weights on my reloading bench. I also have a new RCBS electronic digital scale for convenience but things can go wrong, things can go wrong, etc. with electronic devices. For powder measures, the Reddings are hard to beat. I use and recommend the:
- Competition M10X Pistol measure for charges weighing 1-15 gr
- Competition M BR30 measure for charges weighing 15-30 gr

Keep in mind that the safety of your guns, hands, and eyes are dependent on the accuracy and reliability of your powder measure and scale during reloading.

Second the RCBS scale for a beam powder scale, but if you can find a used Ohaus triple beam or Dial-O-Grain, get that.

Meaures: The Redding 30BR works great for ball powder, and I expect the 3 does too. For stick powder the Quick-measure is the Cadillac, though it takes a little time to set up. It doesn't cut grains at all and performs as advertised. I've never seen a stick powder charge out by more than 0.2 grains from it. The Lee Perfect measure, when its patented wiper works and if it is anchored really well, does almost as well. I have one that always works and one that sticks a bit, indicating the wiper isn't doing what it's supposed to in that one. The good one occasionally throws a stick charge out by 0.3 grains, but not often. Both the Quick-measure and the Lee Perfect measure can get bogged down and a bit jammed up by fine ball powder, so the Redding gets all of that. They are both OK with coarse ball powder and flakes that aren't too big, such as the Hodgdon Universal. I think my Dillon measures do about as well with flakes as any of the others do.

WESHOOT2

RCBS 505.
Lyman Scale Weight Check Set (use it at the desired charge weight to confirm; zeroing a scale confirms zero).

I suggest Hornady, RCBS, and Redding powder measures as satisfying.

ForneyRider

Lee scale is great for 20$, biggest drawback is the 100gr capacity, which should cover most weight checks for powder in vast majority of cartridges.

In the $50-65 range, RCBS, Dillon, Redding, Hornady and Lyman all makes comparable scales.

Lee Perfect Powder measure has been great. I started researching the Redding 3BR, RCBS Uniflow, and the Dillon powder measure. Lot of complaints online on the Dillon powder measure. 3BR is about 150$ and cuts powder just like the Lee PP and RCBS Uniflow. I think getting a 300$ RCBS or Lyman electronic measure would be the next step up for those averse to trickle method. If you need a lot of precision, go for the RCBS electronic or a product from Sinclair Intl.

Shoney

I'll chime in for the 10-10, I've been using it since the late 60's. I also have the RCBS electronic scale, which I didn't like for powder measuring, although I find it handy for sorting bullets and brass by weight.

Powder measure
I have the RCBS and Hornady measures, and they are both excelent. However, having used a Lyman 55, that would be my choice if I should ever need to get a new one.

If I win the lottery, I would get a Promethius.
http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

jaguarxk120

The Redding 3 is a outstanding measure. Once it's set there is no change's to what's dropped. But it will cut grains just as all the other's, ball powder meters very well. The cast iron machined body and drum fit so closely there is NO powder leakage anywhere. The cast bullet group on Yahoo did a test of several popular powder measures, the results are worth reading about.

wncchester

"Lyman Scale Weight Check Set (use it at the desired charge weight to confirm; zeroing a scale confirms zero)."

Weshoot, I wonder, have you ever found the check weights to indicate that your scale was off, even a little bit, if the zero was properly set and the pivot bearings clean? And, if so, how did you make the scale read correctly?