Need suggestions for .45 Auto-Rim loads for my N.I.B. Model 25-2

Hammer It

Hello
I recently Picked up a N.I.B. Model 25-2 S&W revolver chambered in .45 ACP that shipped in November 1977. I am very Familiar with the moon clip's and decided to try some .45 Auto-Rim Cases with hand loads in this Gun. I like using Hodgens "Tight group" and was wondering if anyone has a Proven load using Tight group with a 230 Grain Round Lead Bullet ? I want an accurate load, But not something that will lead up the Bore or put strain on my new gun. I have Plenty of magnum handguns for shooting Hotter loads, so my Focus is aimed at accuracy over Hot Loadings for this revolver. Thanks for any replies, and here is the revolver I spoke of. Best regards, Hammer It

25-2_Left_side_View1.jpg

25-2_Right_View1.jpg

25-2_in_presentation_Case1.jpg

Stainz

Just use your favorite .45 ACP loads. I have shot literally thousands of 230gr RN Berry's bullets over 4.5gr Titegroup in .45 AR Starline brass with Federal LP primers. They make a chrono-ed 735 +/-11 fps from the range's current chrono - a bit slower than the earlier one depicted - from my 4" 625JM. Still, a mild load that easily makes 'major' power factor, for your competition needs. Of course, Berry's bullets are plated - basically a wash - so their loadings are similar to lead. From my experience, expect 12-20 fps more with properly sized lead. It's a comfortable plinker. Upping the charge to 4.8 gr gets the 230gr Berry's bullets to 770-775 fps - that would get your lead easily to 800 fps - but check other sources for proper .45 ACP lead loads.

If you don't have a Lewis Lead Remover in .45 ACP from Brownell's, etc - get one! Also, some .45 Colt bullets, like the 255gr LSWC, over that same 4.8gr Titegroup in an AR case will give you 858 +/-5 fps - that's better than the same bullet over a SAAMI-max pressure that 6.2gr yields in .45 Colt cases in my 625MG! Of course, the smaller cased AR load can run over the .45 Colt's max SAAMI pressure of 14 kpsi up to the ACP's max of ~22 kpsi. It's kind of neat loading, at regular pressure for the 25/625, what would likely be a +P .45 Colt load. You can do some serious hog & deer hunting so-equipped, if the 4" barrel is legal to hunt with in your state. Regardless, they are pretty accurate - and 'ping' a steel plate quite impressively. Congrats on your new firearm.

Stainz

Hammer It

Hello Stainz
I appreciate your response. I have Plenty of Tight group on hand as well. I just Picked up 500- 200 Grain round lead Bullets as well. I will try using it this week. Regards, Hammer It