Need suggestions:Feel free to tell me how I'm doing at the range

Climb14er

Been taking the Kinber Ultra CDP II (three inch) to the range, both to break in the pistol and to increase my proficiency. I shoot indoors at a fifty ft. range. Being that I don't know 'how well' (or how badly) I'm doing, could some of you fine shooters, offer me some suggestions?

Here's how I'm doing with a NRA Official 25 yd. slow fire pistol target using American Eagle .45 ACP 230 gr. hardball. 15 shots per target (2 mags)

15 ft: Most shots in the 7,8,9,10 rings with an occasional 'errant' shot into the #6 and #5. Approx. five center and #10 shots.

25 ft: Most in the black, with a few in the #6 ring, couple in the #5. Approx. three center and #10 shots.

35 ft: Six to nine 'all around' in the black, the remainder around the #5 and #6. This is getting harder for me.

50 ft: Have a tendency to shoot a little low, on the bottom end of the target, unless I specifically aim a little higher. This is pretty hard for me.

I don't know if you could 'glean' anything by what I'm sharing but the main 'aim' of the pistol is self defense, at home, on the road, or in the mountains. I recognized going in that a four inch and five inch barrel would do better at longer distances. The three inch is what I prefer to carry for self defense.

I sense that I'm getting better each time I practice. How am I doing with the shooting so far and any suggestions? BTW, the Kimber is shooting a hell of a lot better than me, I would imagine. Thanks.

monkeywithfire

not an expert or a great shooter but

I too shoot at a 50ft. range at nra slow fire targets.

To answer your combat accuracy question: if you hold up nra target to your chest and all of the shots hit paper at 50ft you will realize that is good enough to do the job. As I understand it, almost all shootings take place under less than 21 feet.

There is always room to improve, I don't care who you are. Many people seem to have no problem keeping them in the black at 50ft. I'm not one of em yet but I strive to be someday.

If you are shooting for the tightest groups possible, these things should help.

shoot regularly
improve cardiovascular fitness
(reduce heart rate, get more oxygen to brain with less effort)
limit caffeine use
make sure your eyes are healthy
(don't skimp on glasses if you need em)
be well rested
shooting fatigues your arms so rest them
(the more times you shoot in string and over the course of a day tends to loosen your groups up)
listen to what other shooters tell you
ignore what other shooters tell you
shoot from a rest to see what ammo your gun likes best

Good luck! -monkey

Sleuth

Sounds like it is time to make your training reflect what you are likely to face. If the range allows humaniod targets, start putting them up. Start from the bench, bring the gun up and fire 2 rounds, quick, to center of mass. If your groups are small, speed up. Try 2 center of mass, 1 head (some crooks have body armor).
Check the USPSA web site for an IPSC club near you. Go to a match, they will be willing to help you get started. Or choose IDPA. But start to shoot more realistic problems.
Consider attending a school, I can reccomend John Farnum, he is from your area and is top notch. There are others. Spend the $$, after all, it's only your life!