Need Steyr advice

mvdemarco

Given the choice of the M40 or the M9 Steyr pistol, which would you pick in terms of reliability and shootability?

Mike

SouthpawShootr

I have no experience with the M40, but my M9 is completely reliable. The only time I've heard people gripe about the Steyr M series is with the .357 Sig variant.

Be warned though, it may be quite a while before you see new parts and mags come in. Nobody can quite figure out who will be importing them. Dynamit Nobel of NJ can't seem to get their act together. They tell some that they are not importing Steyr pistols and other that they will (kind of shakes my confidence in them to tell the truth). Anybody here anything new on these guns? Don't care about the rifles, just the handguns.

spacemanspiff

I have both, and the 9 has given 110%. I'm at just over 1300 rounds with it, and only one jam, and that occured when the slide released during a magazine reload, it fed the round just a little too high and caught in the ejection port.
The .40, has been a little imperfect, but whether it is the ammo, or the recoil springs, i'm not so sure. It only has about 700 rounds through it, and at first, it was occasionally failing to go into full battery. The slide would hang about a quarter inch. This wasnt happening all the time, but enough to be annoying. Now, this last weekend, I had a dozen fail-to-fires. No more out of battery, just fail-to-fire. The case was being struck by the pin, but never in the center, always around the edge. This was while using Aguila 180 gr FMJ/FP. In fact, Aguila is just about all its been fed, except for the first two boxes, which i don't recall what they were. But anyways, its been suggested this problem is in the ammo, and the only other answer would be, in my humble and UNeducated opinion, would be the recoil spring is weak.

Overall, the .40 has been okay but the 9 is my favorite. In comparison to a Glock 19, the recoil is lighter in the Steyr. The sights though, take some getting used to.

Jeff OTMG

I went with the .40 because the M9 and M40 are the same size and both are allowed to hold 10 rounds, so I would rather have 10 of the .40's than 10 9mm's. Some of the earlier guns have had trigger problems and other problems. My M40 has been no problem for me.

EReid13

I chose The M9 over the M40.I rented both at my local range and I liked the lesser felt recoil of the 9MM. Also ammo price was a factor for me. I now have almost 1000 rounds through it and havent looked back.:)

rxit

I have no experience with the .40 Steyr but I certainly do like the 9mm version. I have the M9 and S9 of the two I prefer the S9. If you can find the S9 it may be worth a look. Both guns seem to be very well made and have proven to be shooters.

M40 fail to fire problem

I have a M40 and after the first time I fired it , I was cleaning it extra good and I put some Rem Oil (lubricant oil) in the firing pin assembly. So I went to the range and it failed to fire twice, luckily there was a gun expert there and he looked at it and said, you got lubricant in the firing pin assembly, and that prevents the firing pin from attaining full striking power because it acts like spring back against the pin during discharge. He then went on to give me a disertation on how modern firearms need very little lubrication, they are designed to work with none. So anyway I went home and soaked up all the oil out of the firing pin assembly the best I could. Since then I have fired over 1000+ rounds without a single problem of any type. I have used Magtech, Fiochi, Cor-Bon, and Hydra Shok ammo with 100% success. The Magtech and Fiochi ammo is only $8.96 per 50 at my local gun shop I frequent so I shoot them a lot.

I think if you will take a look at your gun you might find residue in the firing pin assembly.

Good Luck, :cool: