Need some Shotgun advice

Delaware_Dan

So I am looking at shotguns again, as it's the only thing (for now) missing from my meager collection. This gun would be for fun at the range and possibly HD. I have owed a couple in the past that just sat in the safe, so they found new homes one way or another. I am ready to buy another one after the holidays. I am leaning towards semi autos right now but there is a lot I don't know about them. I have always had pumps.

So far I have owned/gifted/traded:
Mossberg 500A 6 shot, 18.5 in
Remington 870 20 gauge 5 shot 26 in.
Winchester 1300 Speed Pump 18.5 in 7 shot(?)

They were all good guns, they just never got shot, as I was shooting handguns a lot more at the time.

What I am looking for should be undr $650, so here we go.

18.5, or 20 inch barrel
At least 6 shot capacity
Ghost ring sights
If semi auto then reliability is a must.

I would really like to own a semi auto shotgun, but I feel like there is a lot I don't know.

So far I have looked at the following:

Mossberg 590A1 Special Purpose 6, and 9 shot
Mossberg 930 SPX 8 shot

So I have not even begun to start looking, just looking for a push in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

-Dan

RangerHAAF

I have recently traded a SPAS-12 for a Benelli M-1. It's the best trade that I've ever done. The Benelli is lighter and uses the inertia of the shot rather than gas to operate, so it's cleaner. The only consideration that may be of concern to you is the price, which is $850 dollars. They are expensive but if you're going to buy a top of the line shotgun and keep it for your lifetime I'd go with a Benelli. The one I got was one of the older models made in the early 90s but still recoil operated. The newer models are even better and more reliable but even more expensive.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php
http://www.benelliusa.com/innovations/inertia_driven_system.php

Last edited:

zippy13

Dan, you said your new gun would be for "possible HD " use. The gun you describe with: short barrel, large capacity and ghost ring sights, sounds HD specific. At one time, when you said you wanted a shotgun for "some fun at the range" it was automatically assumed that you meant the traditional shotgun sports with clay targets and bird shot (#7-1/2 to #9). Is that what you have in mind, or are you thinking of the law enforcement style tactical training courses?

The reason I ask is because the archives are full of previous threads where the OP had wanted a gun for traditional target shooting and HD. Those who opt for a gun as you've described are typically disappointed when they go to their local trap and skeet club. First, an HD-specific gun isn't permitted at some clubs and is frequently met with a "You gotta be kidding me -- get an appropriate gun," attitude by the regular target shooters. Second, shooting clay targets with an HD gun will put you at a definite handicap and can be very frustrating. A short barrel with ghost ring sights is not well suited to acquiring and hitting crossing shots. Dan, when you had your Remington 870 with the 26" barrel, did you shoot targets… was it a Wingmaster or Express model… wood stock or plastic?

For a gun that is suited for general targets and HD, most folks will suggest that you get a combo set: a standard shotgun with two barrels. The guns marketed as factory combos are often seen attractively priced at the big box stores. They are the manufacturers' most basic model with a vent ribbed field barrel and short barrel specifically configured for deer or HD.

Quite a few shooters use their factory combo, in the long barrel configuration, for clay targets. You can have a lot of fun and learn the basics of shooting flying targets with your combo. Many folks get get hooked and find themselves target shooting more frequently than they'd initially anticipated. They start paying more attention to the number of hits on the score sheet and dislike missing. This is about the time they start to realize the combo is a little lacking and may be costing them targets. For targets work, the main problem with the combo is its light weight synthetic stock. The same gun with a heavier wood stock will kick less and swing smoother. The combo's vent rib barrel is designed for game, but with the simple addition of a mid rib bead it becomes a target model.

So, what to do? May I suggest that you not consider a factory combo, but make up one of your own. It may cost a little more initially, but your target time will be more productive from the get-go, and cheaper in the long run. First, find the gun you want configured with a wood stock and a target barrel (or add an additional bead sight). Then, get a separate HD barrel and mag extension. If you go with an auto-loader, this may be your only option since the factory combos are typically pumps.

A word of caution, some folks try to make their own combo in reverse. They start with a tactical gun, and after a few hunts (or trips to the range) they want a longer barrel. Some of these shooters are in for a rude surprise: They learn that their factory large capacity gun won't accept standard barrels. Winchesters and Mossbergs are made with longer magazine tubes that only work with special barrels. Typically, Remington uses a standard length mag tube with an extension that works with standard barrels.

I hope this will help your basic gun selection. I'm sure others will opine on specific makes and models.
Good luck and good shooting.

Pointer

Combo up

I have the Mossberg 930 I like it a lot... I bought the combo with two barrels and added an extended mag.

It shoots trap very nicely with the field barrel and for home protection under 25 meters doesn't really need a ghost ring rear sight. Number 4 Buckshot and slugs hit very accurately with the 18.5 inch barrel. :D

This gun would be for fun at the range and possibly HD.
Remington 1100 Tac 4, excellent all purpose shotgun (where full capacity is acceptable)intended for 3 gun but IMO the perfect barrel for having just one shotgun, that is not a combo (though combos are economical and nice choice). Just a little over budget and yours was high for shotguns besides fancy O/Us and top grade tactical autos.

I can't say enough good about the mossberg 930 SPX . Its a Benelli M2/FN SLP legit competitor, but at half price. Tang safety seal the deal. 930 Combo the field 28".HD 18" version is even cheaper. Now the SPX is with the right ammo on hand, a 100 yard weapon system. For DEDICATED HD, the bead sight is IMO best, fastest, plenty accurate indoors. The 28" ribbed one, well get an 11 shot extension tube to go with it and have lots of fun with pickup games of one on one clay competition, or pin shooting.
I like the Benelli m2 and Supernova very much as well, and my 590 SP was an excellent gun I got new for a excellent price, reccomend that one as well. Not the Mossberg factory military Ghost rings though, they suck. If you want GR on a Mossy get the SPX in that model (500/590/930) for the LPAs which work as GRs were intended, and are the same ones sported by 1200.+ tactical Benellis and FNs, available with tritium but the Mossberg ones are fiber optic front. Track-Lock unproteced GRs are very nice, correct on Remingtons.

Breif roommate had a Charles Daly auto he said was very cheap, dont recall what he said but you could afford it an a few bandoleers full of buck and slug, and have plenty left over to treat the old lady to a night out or random gift.

i have a Saiga 12. I could lure you in with they are going a little over 500 these days. But you'll have 1500 into it in no time and still have a range toy. You can make them reliable as any AK with light pistons and recoil springs, routine cleaning; and 12 shot 12 gauge magazines for 40. is very tantalizing, the reliable 20rd. drum a must at 260. There is an underground of Saiga parts suppliers, unknown to non-owners and many who are. A wide array of accesories from various price levels and quality. They are a money pit though. You'll get the top of the line quad rail and need an EOTech for it, on and on...

It's been my experience you don't get money back on accesories so...Its a fun and ultrabadass platform, but you need something real. The 930 combo as described (possibly even add a third barrel, a 24" rifled with cantilever scope rail for hunting or alternate to a thumper rifle; Now a Mossberg pump 500 could give ya a Black Powder barrel to literally use the same gun for everything year round, maybe better choices for small game though; I might favor a pump if it was a one and only shotgun). IMO everyone should also have a 12 ga used NEF, H&R or Rossi 80. single somewhere. These things will last forever, a cheap survival tool good for a lot of tasks and one you can probably count on. Too affordable to not have something so dependable and versatile. Great full-time trunk gun. Throw in some cartridge/SG gauge subcaliber adapters too, the Aguila 12 ga Mini short shells, etc. Take advantage of the lack of mechanical or auto cycling

Last edited:

Delaware_Dan

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Dan, you said your new gun would be for "possible HD " use. The gun you describe with: short barrel, large capacity and ghost ring sights, sounds HD specific. At one time, when you said you wanted a shotgun for "some fun at the range" it was automatically assumed that you meant the traditional shotgun sports with clay targets and bird shot (#7-1/2 to #9). Is that what you have in mind, or are you thinking of the law enforcement style tactical training courses?

I should have been a little more specific. I don't shoot trap or skeet, I don't hunt either, so this would be a range toy first and a back up HD second.

I might favor a pump if it was a one and only shotgun

I didn't think of this, it's a pretty good idea though. I think I have it narrowed down to the Mossberg 590A1 SP 9 shot. Imput is still appreciated though.

longcall911

I believe the 930 SPX will fill your need for fun, while also being a serious weapon for HD. I've also played with mounting my TLR-2 streamlight on the top rail. It looks a little silly, but I suspect that a BG seeing a bright white light and a red dot on his chest then hearing a massive bolt slam shut is going to think twice.

DSC_0007.jpg

OlympicArmsFan

Take a look at www.budsgunshop.com you will find a lot of slections and for the price range a Remington or Mossberg will do.

I bought a 500 Mossberg for 328 out the door from buds shipped to my local FFL. Mine is a 20" barrel 7+1 that Im happy with.

I wanted the 590A1 but couldnt affored the price on it and buds does have a 590 for 323 but its not a 590A1.

I was and always am on a big time budget and Mossberg fit my bill to have a nice shotgun that dosnt feel or look cheap.