Need some locktite advice.

bennnn

What would be the best type of locktite to keep the front site on a Ruger mark III from constantly coming loose?

What I have is a stainless Mark III, and the front sight screw won't last through even one whole mag without working loose, real pain in the ass at the range, and I just bought my wife one as well, and I've heard this is a pretty common thing with these, so my troubles are about to double.....

Is there some type of locktite that would be removable? I'm not ever planning on changing the front sight, but it bothers me to think I wouldn't ever be able to if something happened.

Sarge

Blue will keep it snug and require only a little more torque when you remove it.

Red will set the screw permanently, or until you apply heat such as a soldering iron to 'break' it.

I use blue for general screw anchoring where disassembly will eventually follow. I use red for permanent installs, like staked-in 1911 front sights.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Even the red will soften and let you remove the screw if you heat the screw with a soldering iron.

Just be aware that once you soften it with heat you have to clean it out and reapply new threadlocker. It's not that it softens and then rehardens when it cools. Once you heat it sufficiently it's ruined.

qcpunk

I would try Blue first as it requires no heat for removal, hand tools will surfice. If that still loosens up on you, then try Red loctite, but be warned that heat WILL be required for removal, especially on hardware of that size.