Need some hints...what is the toughest all-around rifle?

Greg Bell

Guys,

I know this is sure to garner some:rolleyes: But what rifle(s) are considered the toughest for all-weather use these days? I was looking at at Marlin Alaskan Guide gun in stainless. It seemed pretty sturdy. Then again, I wonder if a cut-down Mauser 98 might be pretty damn unbreakable. Just looking for ideas, not looking to start nerd war III here. :D

MDman

mosin nagant, I have used the butt of the rifle like a hammer. So far its helped take down one tree.

FirstFreedom

I think you would be very hard-pressed to beat the Mauser 98 or copy in toughness - feeds and extracts in muddy, grimy conditions. Maybe a levergun could too - I just dunno.

Bogie

Oh, heck... If you're hell-bent on breaking it, just buy a Yugo or an SKS... That way none of us will cry when you post the pictures.

Any decent equipment will require a bit of maintenance.

Full-choke

I would say take a gander at a 1917 Enfield Action, those things were made to go to hell and back. I have one sporterized in 375 H&H that kicks butt. My buddy TheShootist1894 used to have one in 30-06 that was a take driver and it looked like crap. The stock on that thing was rotting out, there wasn't a knick of bluing left, some old Weaver (I believe) scope...still put the rounds exactly where you wanted it.

Plus, if you get your hands on one like that, then you don't cry and want to shoot yourself for abusing a nice gun.

F-C

davlandrum

toughest for all-weather use

Sorry, I am not clear on the question. Toughest in relation to weather or just all-around "toughest"?

I first read the question and thought you meant weather-wise tough.

Limeyfellow

Most of the older military surplus would do the job just fine. They meant to take a beating in the hands of semi literate conscripts and most cry out the principles of KISS and sturdiness, that make them about impossible to break.

CrazyIvan007

I know the Remington 700's are pretty good.

I also like the Marlin Lever rifles, the 45-70, 30-06, etc...

Those should be pretty good at surviving weather.

Maybe look at a rifle with a composite stock?

Slamfire

Remington Rolling Block.

Any of the aforementioned rifles, including the Marlin have proved themselves to be reliable designs. Or they would not have gotten into service, or in the case of the Marlin, would gone out of production.