Need Some Help Deciding...

jgcoastie

If I don't buy a gun pretty quick, my wife will undoubtedly find my rat-holed money and take it from me...

I've pretty much got everything I need :)eek:Blasphemy, I know:eek:)
Here's the limited armory as of now...

Glock 20 - 10mm Auto
Glock 22 - .40S&W
GSG-5 - .22LR
Browning BAR MkII Safari - .30/06
Remington 870 Super Mag - 12ga

It's really hard for me to find a real need for another gun, but I really want another gun... I just don't know what I want...

I've considered an AR15/10 type, 1911 (Just for the principle of the matter, I'd probably never carry it), but I'm open to any and all suggestions. Budget is $1000.00ish. I already have a reloading setup, so ammo price isn't a major decision breaker.

Any suggestions, considering our current geopolitical situation?

nimbleVagrant

It depends on what you're into. $1k would go a long way towards a decent target rifle, or a "tactical" rifle, or a nice mid-range 1911. you could spend that kind of money on any number of toys.

Warchild

I see no .45 or 9mm in your setup.... how about something smaller, possibly concealable? Maybe a G19. Also don't see anythnig in the form of a 1911 in your collection. Perhaps a nice Springfield, DW, or a Colt? As for an AR platform, you can always find great deals on the ar15.com classifieds.

Sevens

Looking at what you have... and the fact that you are a reloader, there is a colossal hole the size of the grand canyon in your collection.

You need a .357 Magnum revolver. 4-inch or 6-inch. Blued or Stainless. Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Dan Wesson, or Colt.

As a reloader, you'll be blown away at the incredible versatility of a .357 Mag revolver. Target wadcutters in .38 Special recoil like a hot .22 and can potentially give you match accuracy. The bullets are cast lead and cheap... 2.8 grains of powder costs almost nothing. (2500 loaded rounds from one pound of powder!) You can buy a box of 500 cast bullets for like $35 or less.

Or you can reload .357 Magnum with jacketed bullets of 110, 125, 158 or 180 grains for some of the fiercest, meanest, loudest rounds of any mid-bore caliber on the market. It's not a .44 or .454, but it's a helluva lot closer than any 9mm or .40S&W or .45.

And as a reloader, you can build ANYTHING in between those mouse-fart wadcutter rounds and the heavy ground pounders.

And you never chase and ejected brass, you can dump it right from the cylinder in to a bag for collection.

I truly believe that anyone who has more than a couple handguns and doesn't have a decent .357 Magnum is really missing out.

jgcoastie

You need a .357 Magnum revolver. 4-inch or 6-inch. Blued or Stainless. Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Dan Wesson, or Colt.

You make a lot of good points, but again, I can't really justify a .357Mag because my 10mm gets everything done that a .357 would.

Yeah, I do want a 1911, but I can't justify one because I use my .40 for anything I'd use a .45 for.

I have considered a Ruger LCP .380, but I can't find one anywhere up here. I may fly over to Anchorage and see what's in stock at the Sportsman's Warehouse...

I would like to get a smaller, pocket type gun. The LCP is the only one so far that I really think I'd like... Any others I should consider? Preferrably in 9mm, .380 acceptable.

scorpion_tyr

Here's my suggestions

.45 ACP, everyone should have one right? I didn't thinks so at first. I loved and still do love my .40, but I changed my mind when I saw the different rounds side by side.

Glock 21 - It's missing from your lineup ;)

1911 - If you're looking for hi-cap then go for a Para Ordnance Big Hawg (14+1). With the extra cash I'd say by some ProMag magazines. The ones from Para are horrible.

SA/DA .45: Px4 Storm or FNP-45

$1K can get you all of those, and some extra mags, holsters, etc. Besides that I agree with Sevens.

Sevens

You make a lot of good points, but again, I can't really justify a .357Mag because my 10mm gets everything done that a .357 would.
I don't agree at all. Before I say why, let it be known that I own one .357 Mag and I own two different 10mm pistols. I've had 10mm since 1994, so I'm not new to this caliber. My carry gun is a G29. I've always loved the 10mm.

With a .357, you've got a completely different type of handgun from anything that you have. A revolver, something that your G20 is not. So that's one thing that your 10mm can't get done that a .357 can.

A .357 revolver uses the horribly plentiful and cheap .357 Mag and .38 Special brass, a 10mm uses the scarce and expensive 10mm brass... AND a 10mm chucks that brass. And a Glock 10mm "smilies" a lot of that brass. As a reloader, you must be cognizant of that.

If you aren't reloading, or stop reloading, or if you are simply out of ammo and away from your bench or out of components, a .357 Magnum is one of the single most popular handgun calibers in the history of the world. Throw .38 Special in there as well, and you've got dozens upon dozens of factory ammo choices from EVERY ammo maker, in multiple bullet weights and styles and loadings. In 10mm, I could almost list all your choices on one of my hands. Granted... this isn't something that deters me at all (I'm a dedicated reloader) but if you want to make the argument that the 10mm covers everything the .357 is, well, wrong again.

As I detailed, a .357 Mag revolver can use incredibly light loads like the .38 wadcutters. Easy and cheap to handload, more inherently accurate than any 10mm load from just about any platform. That's something your G20 can't do. (In fact, I've read from many folks who own both the G20 and the G29 and many state that their 29 is MORE accurate!)

A .357 Mag revolver makes great use of cast lead bullets, something your Glock can't/won't/shouldn't do. Cast lead bullets are the cheapest projectiles you can buy for reloading, and the only way to get cheaper bullets is to cast them yourself. Either way, you end up with cast lead bullets. Another thing your G20 can't do. (of course, with an aftermarket barrel, your G20 can do them, and quite well, too)

Hey, really, if a revolver is not for you, fine. I can't make you get one. If you don't want one, you just don't want one. It's not like I'm trying to sell you mine and I don't work for S&W.

But the reason you state can't really be the reason you believe...
Otherwise, why on earth would you still own the G22? What does a .40 S&W give you that the 10mm doesn't do? The G20 has a 15 round magazine... another mag handy and that's 30 shots, so what is the reason you can justify a .40 S&W if you already have a 10mm?

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who are turned off by revolvers. I'll bet some guys have no use for them whatsoever in their early years of shooting, and gravitate toward them later. A lot of people probably find them antiquated or ugly or low-tech.

If you don't want one, that's all good. But IMO, your reason is just full of holes. And if it all just simply comes down to muzzle energy, and that is what drives your argument that the 10mm handles anything/everything a .357 can do, then instead of a .357, might I suggest a .44 Magnum?

The .44 Magnum will do more than a 10mm in energy. More in bullet weight. Use a similar bullet weight and you've got more muzzle velocity. And every other reason I detailed in defense of the .357 can be applied to a good .44 Magnum as well. Ammo choices, component bullet choices, brass availability and not having to chase down chucked brass.

Anyhow... I've got a couple different guns that don't do "anything" that I can't do with another one. I've got a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Can't do anything with that one except a colossal fireball, a horrendous crack & boom, a flat, speedy as hell bullet and an accurate revolver from which it screams out of. Heh... not a lot of purpose for that one, but I sure like it! :D

Anyhow, that's my argument. I love all my guns in all their calibers... but if I were only allowed to have one, I'd have to make it a .357 Magnum, for all the reasons I stated. The versatility and functionality of it is unmatched, IMO.

Lolgasm

id get something small and concealable, maybe a pocket gun like a NAA guardian, or a seecamp? always liked the looks of one of them and you can get them "pimped" with some gold inlay or some scroll-work and still be under budget. take your wife out to dinner and she cant hold it against you :cool:

jgcoastie

I do shoot cast lead in my G20, but I also have a replacment match barrel from EFK.

I see some of your points with the .357/.38 argument, guess I've never been much of a relvolver guy... However, I wouldn't mind one in a super-light, super-small concealable package. It'd be great to find one with a decent size grip and snubbie barrell. Any ideas?

I justified the G22 because I really don't want to have to shoot someone, period. But if I wind up being in that awful situation, I really don't want to shoot them with a 10mm... Using such a powerful round, while perfectly legitimate when we're talking it over, could seem like overkill to the improperly informed individual who got drafted into jury duty. Plus the added fact that I already have the reloading dies for it, cast bullets for it, etc., it just made sense to me to get a .40. If I had come across a G21 with four magazines for the same price ($400) I would've jumped on that deal as well. Matter of fact, I'd jump on pretty much any Glock in great shape with four mags for $400...

In all honesty, I'm really not interested in any semi-auto's that aren't Glock, I've shot the XD, M&P, and many 1911's, never did like the feel of any of them... The closest I've gotten to good feel from a 1911, was from a double-stack Para USA... I carry a SIG P220 for our issue PDW, I don't like it. It doesn't "fit".

BigJimP

1911's come in calibers other than .45 acp / you can get 9mm, .40S&W etc. from Kimber, Wilson Combat, etc. A high quality 1911 - and well tuned - like from Wilson Combat is an awful nice gun ( but not available at $1,000 either )...

Alaska is bear country / how about a S&W model 29 or 629 in .44 mag / there are a few 3" Trail Boss models out there - or maybe a 4" or 6". They make nice guns to have when you're fishing, etc. You said you don't want a heavy revolver - so maybe the 3" ( but heavier makes a .44 mag a little more fun to shoot, in my opinion).

Its hard for me to believe you really like the grip angle or the triggers on the Glocks / but you said you don't like your issue weapon a Sig 220 either - maybe a Sig 226 or 229 would feel better ( where you could add a 9mm ).

How about a 'target grade' shotgun in 12ga / something you can shoot clay targets, hunt a little - maybe a used Benelli super sport 12ga semi-auto / maybe a used Browning Over Under like the Lightning series .... ( new the Benelli is about $ 1875 / the Browning about $2000 - but you might find something used ..). Beretta makes a decent semi-auto 12ga / the 390 or the 391 series - if you like gas operated semi-autos / give you a little bit of versatility.

jgcoastie

I guess I'm just too picky... I'm completely fine with a .45, and I kinda like the Para 1911's with the double-stack.

I don't really shoot clays that often anymore, but when I do I'll normally just throw some cheap target loads in my 870, works good enough for the amount I shoot it. The only reason I've got it is for ducks and geese, we hunt rabbits with .22lr's.

.44 magnum, yeah lots of folks have them up here, but I feel just as safe with my G20 loaded with DoubleTap Beartooth's as I would if I had a .44 magnum. Maybe I shouldn't, but I do and that's not likely to change.

As far as the SIG goes, I mean, it's okay and I shoot very well with it and it's been completely reliable in all circumstances, I'm just not real fond of it for some reason... I guess I should be a little more open-minded about the subject... The more I think about it the more I'm thinking about trying to find a SIG that works for me... I'll take another look at Para's lineup as well... Thanks for the advice guys...

jgcoastie

S&w 642ct

Finally picked up a little 642CT today, just got home from the gun shop... I paid a little too much for this, but this is Kodiak, and everything's more expensive locally. I paid $800 for the 642 with Crimson Trace lasergrips already installed. I probably could've surfed the pages of gunbroker and found one used at a better price, but it's important to me to support the local guys... My question though is what bullet type would be the best for SD/HD? I'm a firm believer in Speer Gold Dot, but I've heard that JHP's have trouble expanding reliably out of snubbie barrels... Any truth to this?

That'll Do

Finally picked up a little 642CT today, just got home from the gun shop... I paid a little too much for this, but this is Kodiak, and everything's more expensive locally. I paid $800 for the 642 with Crimson Trace lasergrips already installed. I probably could've surfed the pages of gunbroker and found one used at a better price, but it's important to me to support the local guys... My question though is what bullet type would be the best for SD/HD? I'm a firm believer in Speer Gold Dot, but I've heard that JHP's have trouble expanding reliably out of snubbie barrels... Any truth to this?

If you like the Gold Dot line (I do–it's a great product, IMO), you could try the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel line. It's designed for short barrels, and available in 38 Special +P 135gr.

jgcoastie

Thanks, I picked up a box just to have something to shoot in case the hearsay was correct. I'm glad they'll work, I use Speer GD's in both my G22 and G20, love em. Can't be beaten IMO for SD/HD applications, just wasn't sure how they'd perform in a snubbie... Thanks.