Need some handgun recommendations

iudoug

Have an older lady friend wanting a carry piece. Something with lower recoil and in the $400 to 500 range.....Let me know what you think brand and caliber wise.....Thanks, Doug

wjkuleck

Revolvers are a good choice for those who are best served by a simple manual of arms.

The new Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum might be a good choice; adequate ballistics, not much recoil:

349L.jpg

I'd sure consider it for my SO...

Regards,

Walt

ice monkey

I think the Ruger would be a great solution …

If she doesn’t like the Ruger however; a compact 1911 in 9mm has very little recoil and carries well. I like Para’s, but Kimber, Colt, and Springfield, come to mind as manufacturers of compact 1911’s in 9mm. Unfortunately I think they are all over $500 new.

If she really is recoil sensitive … Taurus makes a nice little .22 mag, 8 shot revolver. It’s loud, but it works, is under $500, and doesn’t kick at all.

wjkuleck

I generally shy away from recommending autos to newbies who don't have much interest in firearms; the M1911 is particularly challenging in its manual of arms, unless you look at the Para LTA.

Regards,

Walt

ice monkey

Yeah, but it's to be a carry gun ... wouldn't you have to practice ... if it's your carry? :eek:

Hmmm. Ok, dumb assumption lol. :)

mk70ss

How about a good used S&W 3inch model 10 .38. Cheap enough to buy, dependable as a tire iron, and cheap to shoot. Also a great carry gun or home defense piece.

Buzzcook

I agree with the model 10 .38 with light loads.

But you should really take this lady to a shooting range where she can try several revolvers and calibers. I don't think a semi would be a bad Idea, just the revolver is easier.

She also might consider taking a firearm course before she commits to a certain pistol.

carguychris

Here's a few thoughts based on what I've seen on the used market in decent condition recently...

*SIG P225 aka P6 German police trade-in. Generally priced in low- to mid-$300 range, 9mm Luger = cheap practice ammo, reliable as the sunrise, small and slim enough to conceal but heavy enough to dampen 9mm recoil, and most examples are somewhat cosmetically beat up so she won't feel guilty knocking it around. ;)

*S&W Model 65 police trade-in w/ 2.5" or 3" barrel. Same price range and beat-up condition as P225, but may be a smidge too big and heavy for pleasant carry vs. other options presented here.

*S&W Model 431/432/631/632; .32 H&R Mag recoil will be less intimidating to the recoil-shy n00b shooter than a .38Spl Airweight J-frame, plus you get 6 shots instead of 5. :) Unfortunately no longer available new, but seem relatively easy to find and reasonably priced on used market.

iudoug

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Lots of great answers and imput! I thought a little bit about a 22 magnum for her as well. What are your thoughts on stopping power with one of those??? I am leaning on a revolver for her and for her never shooting guns and is a little over 60 I know recoil will be an issue! Doug

ice monkey

I am not sure what tegemu meant by "do not pass go, do not collect $500.00," but the link he/she provided is awesome!

As for the question to whether a .22 Mag has stopping power? Take a look at Guns and Shooting Online, @ http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm there the .22 Mag is rated at shooting 42% one shot stops. (Read, keep shooting until hostilities stop.) The site also has a great story on handguns for the disabled and recoil sensitive that might help.

I really don’t want to get into the virtues or lack there of, of the .22 Mag, but after shooting my buddy’s Taurus .22 mag stubby at the range I’ll say this, I would trust it… The cheap ammo would let me shoot more, hence I feel I would become proficient. Plus the recoil is so low my sights would never move off the target. I wonder what the fireball would be like at night though out of that little stubby. Like the author on tegemu’s provided site stated, better a .22lr than a stick … or something like that.

In the end - It will all come down to what fits.

I've known a few women who had trouble with double action revolver trigger pulls. Something to keep in mind, make sure her strength is adequate to effectively operate whatever choice is made.

blume357

If she and you are serious then she really needs to go to a range

and shoot.

My one suggestion is if at all possible find an outside range where you can shoot with no roof over you. After much trouble... my wife took a pistol course for women only... she loved it and loved shooting... I could not figure out what was different.... during the course she shot 9mm... 40 cal and 45 acp. and even 357 mag... when 'we' shot she could not stand shooting anything over 22.... then I realized all our shooting was under a roof... you get the blow back from the recoil off the roof and it really takes some time to get used to.... the course she took, all the shooting was outside in the open.

with all that said, my suggestion:

I think a little 357 shooting standard 38 specials is probably the ticket.

fat old gun nut

New Gun Recommendation

I recommend the same gun I got my sister,a lite weight Taurus ,hammerless( so as not to snag) in .38. Practice should help the DO trigger thing and a revolver will go "bang" when a pistol won't.;)

Mark54g

how about a stoeger cougar? They are about $329, the recoil is soft, from the rotating lock-up and the money saved will be well spent in ammo for practice and training

B.N.Real

Take your lady friend to a range and buy her some time on the range and help her with choosing some of the rental guns on the range to shoot.

Nothing bigger than .38/.357 and 9mm.

Preferably .38 revolvers or possibly a high quality 380 auto.

Be with her as she tries the guns out and help her choose the one gun that fits her best.

sks

Dittos to much of what has been said. Your friends needs to visit a range and get some familiarity with the gun. She needs to feel comfortable with what will actually happen when she pulls the trigger and not guess or be worried.

I would lean toward a revolver for the simple aspect of point it, pull it and BANG. No safety to worry about or fail to fire problems. Just keep pulling until something happens. :)

My wife carries the Taurus titanium, snub nose, ribber grip, ported and hammerless .38 revolver. It is either in her purse or car at all times. She loves it.

My daughter is 5 and this spring we are going to the range. I am going to introduce her to a Buckmark .22 and Targetmaster. Never too early to start. She already helps me reload. Loves to punch primers and pull bullets.

Good luck.