Need some custom rifle work done

JasonReed

Nothing too dramatic, but I can't find a gunsmith around here.

I've got a stainless Winchester M70 w/a 24" barrel and HS Precision stock that needs to go on a diet. I'd like to get the barrel fluted and see if there's a way to lighten the stock (drilling, inletting?).

Anyone know of a place to get this done? Preferably one that won't cost more than just buying a new rifle?

echo3mike

A couple I could pull up out of my...favorites list are Jerry Rice at NorCal Precision (lists bbl fluting at $US100 on their site), and Hart Rifle Barrels (6 flutes for $US120, 8 flutes for $US160...don't know if it's only for their installed barrels or if they take in other products).

You can talk with Jeff Hicks (aka Celt) directly on this site. You can also contact George Gardner of GA Precision on Sniper's Hide . I don't know if either one is set up to do fluting, but they may know someone else who is.

Regards,
S.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
You might check "The Wisdom of Gale mcMillan" about fluting. And discuss with those whose links echo3mike provided as to fluting vs. turning.

If you remove material, do most of the lightening inside the butt of the stock. Anything off the forearm, take it off the outside, but sparingly. You don't want it becoming flexible.

Art