Need some AK Education!

sleeping dog

Lonegunman,

I think the "AK-47" term is a generic description. The MAK90 is a kind of AK-47, I believe it's from China.

There's a bunch of info on field-stripping, disassembly, etc, on http://ak-47.gunsnet.net

The forums over there are generally not as polite and respectful as TheFiringLine :eek: so throw on the flak jacket and visit.

Regards.

Target Shooter

Well technically the AK-47 is a select fire assault rifle.
So with that said the name AK-47 is a generic name for most rifles that resemble in appearance and use the same gas system.
A MAK-90 is essentially the same as a generic AK-47 with a thumbhole stock, it's threaded barrel demilled, and the bayonet mount removed. (and of course the missing full auto parts inside)
I have always believed that MAK-90 was the name given to AK-47's after the import ban of 1989 went into effect. The manufactures removed the threaded barrel (or welded the muzzle cap on) removed the bayonet mount and attached a thumbhole stock then started importing the rifle again in 1990.
So as you see MAK (Modified AK) 90 (1990, the first year it was imported) Hence MAK-90.

TS

Destructo6

"Mak90" is the name of the Chinese AK as made by Norinco in the early 1990's. I have one and they are, with the exception of the finish, excellent.

The double hook, as opposed to the single hook, trigger makes for a relatively smooth pull.

The firing pin is spring loaded, unlike most AKs, so a slam fire is nearly impossible.

The gas tube seems to rattle a bit as typical of Mak90's.

Bolt and carrier are hard chromed for ease of maintenance.

Dust cover is not ribbed.

The angle cut on the rear of the receiver was to attach it's factory bunghole stock. Installing the standard AK stock, assuming you've added the appropriate number of US parts, leaves a somewhat ugly void.

I like mine well enough that when it came time to cull the herd, the Romanian AKs went and the Norinco stayed. Heh, heh, I've probably bagged 100 desert hares with this thing.

FireForged

You are allowed a pistol grip on AK system rifle if you have the correct number of USA parts. The rifle must not total more than 10 foreign parts. The Romanian rifles have US made trigger set, gas piston and pistol grip. That makes 10 foreign and 5 US.

Here is a list of parts:

Milled Reciever AK's (No Muzzle Attachment

1 Frame/Reciever
2 Barrel
3 Bolt
4 Bolt Carrier
5 Gas Piston
6 Hammer
7 Trigger and Hammer release(one piece)
8 Disconnector
9 Buttstock(thumbhole)
10 Hand Guards/Forearms
11 Magazine body
12 Magazine Follower
13 Magazine Floorplate
14 Pistol grip

Milled Reciever AK's W/Muzzle Attachment
1 Frame/Reciever
2 Barrel
3 Bolt
4 Bolt Carrier
5 Gas Piston
6 Hammer
7 Trigger and Hammer release(one piece)
8 Disconnector
9 Buttstock(thumbhole)
10 Hand Guards/Forearms
11 Magazine body
12 Magazine Follower
13 Magazine Floorplate
14 Pistol grip
15 Pin-on Muzzle Attachment

Stamped Reciever AK's (No Muzzle Attachment)

1 Frame/Reciever
2 Trunion
3 Barrel
4 Bolt
5 Bolt Carrier
6 Gas Piston
7 Hammer
8 Trigger and Hammer release(one piece)
9 Disconnector
10 Buttstock(thumbhole)
11 Hand Guards/Forearms
12 Magazine body
13 Magazine Follower
14 Magazine Floorplate
15 Pistol grip
No more than 10 foreign parts, must use 5 U. S. Parts.

Stamped Reciever AK's W/Muzzle Attachment
1 Frame/Reciever
2 Trunion
3 Barrel
4 Bolt
5 Bolt Carrier
6 Gas Piston
7 Hammer
8 Trigger and Hammer release(one piece)
9 Disconnector
10 Buttstock(thumbhole)
11 Hand Guards/Forearms
12 Magazine body
13 Magazine Follower
14 Magazine Floorplate
15 Pistol grip
16 Pin-on Muzzle Attachment
No more than 10 foreign parts, must use 6 U. S. Parts.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Technically, the AK-47 is the designation for the Soviet/Russian service rifle, the selective fire Automat Kalashnikov 1947. Other members of the former Soviet bloc adopted the rifle and gave it different model names based on their own weapon naming systems. The AK-47 is 7.62x39; an updated version, the 5.45x39 caliber AK-74 is in service in some Russian or former Soviet nations.

When semi-auto versions were imported, other names were applied to those, partially to distinguish them from the selective fire AK-47, and partially to avoid bans that menitoned the AK-47 by name. Recent changes to comply with the 1994 laws have led to more names and numbers.

Jim

Rebeldon

I used to have an Egyptian made Maadi MISR-10. I could not legally use 30 round magazines with it. I sold it about a year ago for $300. I bought it for $265.

Does anybody here own a Russian AK?

Zander

MAK is simply...

...an acronym for [M]odified [A]vtomat [K]alashnikov, an AK capable of semi-auto fire only and introduced into our market in 1990.

Voila: MAK-90 ...