Need Some Advice...RE: A Colt Python

mikey357

I have a NICE 1967-production Colt Python--six-inch, blue--that is probably in 98-99% condition...someone at work has approached me about possibly buying the gun. It is pretty much "Cherry", with the box, paperwork, facory test target AND original grips, as well as a coupla' sets of "Aftermarket" grips--one Rogers, one Hogue "Goodyear's"--what would be a "FAIR" price to extract from this individual for this piece???...Thanks....mikey357

trespass

bluebook

I'd suggest you refer to the bluebook of gun values...obviously, your firearm is a valuable item. I'd not let it go too cheaply.

Gonzo_308

Off the top of my head I'm gonna say upwards of 1K+!

If the gun is in the condition you describe that's a good price. You could probably get more out of it. To be safe though (in case I'm missing something do like Trespass suggested and double check. I could be off by a significant amount if there's a model or SN specific change.

mr2edl

I recently bought a 8" blue Python that was manufactured in 1967-68 in approximately 98-99% condition. However, I got nothing but the weapon; no box, no target, no paperwork, etc. I paid $750.00 and was happy to get it for that price. I would think the $1K range would be pretty close.

Good luck!

joepa

Check out gunsamerica.com to see what other similar Pythons are going for. Yours should be $900 - $1000 or so. I recently picked up a like new nickel Python from 1978 with box, and papers for $875 from a listing on this site.

Ranger325

I agree with T Ward - keep it if you can. I bought a new 6" blue in 1979 (my first pistol) and sold it after 10 years (needed $ for another 'project'). Picked up a replacement (V series) this Saturday at a show and I'm a happy man -- poorer, but very happy. :) This one is not going anywhere....................

nwobhm

A LNIB 60's vintage Python with paperwork matching box and paperwork? If it's all there it's at least $1,400. If box, paperwork etc are all as mint as the gun I'd say $1,500. No I am not joking. A NIB Python is 1k easily these days and production is halted for at least 1 year for new tooling and the new ones totally suck and I don't care who says otherwise.

joepa

$1500 is way too high - they're not going for that. $900 - $1,000 would be a good deal for both of you. More power to you if he'd pay more than that. Maybe nwobhm could buy it from you for $1,300 and sell it for $1,500. ;)