Need some 1911 Advice

LloydXmas250

So I'm going to get my "first" 1911. I use quotes because I'm supposed to have my grandfather's WWII colt. But when he passed my step-dad intercepted it and convinced my mother I was too young. I was 23 almost out of college and already owned one pistol. Anyway, this will be mine, all mine. What I need some advice on is which version. I've decided on Rock Island Armory already because of the quality vs. price. It's hard to beat. But I want at least the tactical model. I'd like the officer's hammer, the skeletonized trigger, the beaver tail and the better sights. But I've also seen the Rock Island match .45. It has a better trigger, better sights (adjustable) and nicer grips. It costs $150-200 more. Anyone handle it? Can you guys give me some advice. I may start upgrading the tactical and in doing so it may be cheaper just to start with the match. Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

michael t

Either are good pistols The American Classic line has about the same with the American Classic Deluxe and the Trophy model. Might give them a look also. Their made in the Philippines also . price about the same as the Rock.

gearhounds

Sucks about your step dad. Personally, I'd be pushing the issue with him as it was your grandfathers weapon, not his. Family heirlooms are important and should be respected as such.

Unless you expect to be engaging in bullseye shooting competition, the adjustable sights are worth exactly zero. And the fancier pistol won't necessarily have a better trigger than the GI or the Tactical. I'd advise the Tactical -- the better sights alone are worth the price difference compared to the GI.

1911 triggers are easy to tune. Get your pistol, and if the trigger is too heavy I can point you to an article on how to tune it (safely) by yourself.

LloydXmas250

Yeah I'm still pretty upset about the situation. It was going to be something we shot on occasion. We would never sell it so we're not worried about wear. It's sentimental so it brings us closer when shooting. Well he's paranoid about the government and won't register it, and so it never leaves the safe. Now no one shoots it. It's such a shame. Anyway, the American Classic doesn't seem bad but there are just a few things about it that don't appeal to me. One I like the parkerized finish over bluing. Another, and this may be weird but I really don't like the serrations on the front of the slide. I'm still leaning to the RIA but I keep swaying back and forth on the tactical or match. Maybe if I explain what I want from this gun it would be easier to get to a decision.

I want a good looking 1911. I want to be able to compete with it, although more for fun, not extremely serious competition. I'd like it for potential self-defense. I'll mostly be target shooting with it.

LloydXmas250

Unless you expect to be engaging in bullseye shooting competition, the adjustable sights are worth exactly zero. And the fancier pistol won't necessarily have a better trigger than the GI or the Tactical. I'd advise the Tactical -- the better sights alone are worth the price difference compared to the GI.

1911 triggers are easy to tune. Get your pistol, and if the trigger is too heavy I can point you to an article on how to tune it (safely) by yourself.

I can understand that. But here is one issue I'm having with the tactical. There is no difference in the front and rear sights as far as color. I don't like sights like that so I would want to either change them, which I've read online can be tough cause they don't necessarily take drop in 1911 sights, or paint them, which I'm not really huge on either. The match has a plain rear sight but the fiber optic front makes it stand out and that's something I'm looking for.