Need Scope Mounting Instruction

1tfl

Where can I find a comprehensive scope mounting instructions?
Only scope I have mounted in past were cheap $20 scopes on my 22lr rifles.
This time I'm working with about $800 worth of scope, base and mount so I would like to read it once before doing it. It ill be Leupold scope, Warne tactical base and rings on my Remington 700 rifle.

Thanks.

sholling

Here ya go. MidwayUSA has a series of videos that make it pretty simple. Just keep in mind that they are trying to sell you the whole store. For a one time project you can improvise many of the tools. Of course for a one time project it's a lot cheaper (usually free or almost) to get the shop to mount and bore sight the scope. I do recommend a having small level (theirs sucks), and a bore sight and something to hold the rifle steady and level. I invested in a $2 pocket level, the FAT wrench torque wench, a Pachmayr driver set with bits, and a Leupold bore sighter, and the Tipton "best" gunvise but but you could build your own. The gunvise is a must have for cleaning rifles anyway.

Scorch

Warne rings and bases are a "Weaver-style" setup, just made out of steel rather than aircraft-grade aluminum. Very solid setup. Good choice.

You will need blue thread locker, Torx driver, alcohol or mineral spirits, and about 15-30 minutes.

Clean out the holes in the action with alcohol, GunScrubber, or mineral spirits. Align the bases over the holes. Put a drop of threadlocker on the threads of the screws and insert the screws, tighten firmly but not to the stripping point. Repeat with the other base.

I am assuming you have the vertically split rings.

Remove the screws holding the rings together and take the rings apart, making sure to keep the proper ring halves together as a set. Clean the threads with alcohol or mineral spirits. Put a drop of threadlocker on the threads of the screws. I typically put a drop of threadlocker inside the ring, but you don't have to. Lay the scope in the rings, insert the screws and thread them in, but do not tighten the screws. This should leave enough slack to be able to put them on the bases.

Place the rings on the bases, tighten the two bottom screws snug but not tight. Align the scope, set proper eye relief. Tighten the top screws, then the bottom screws. Recheck the scope alignment. Loosen and adjust if needed. Retighten everything. Set the rifle aside until the threadlocker sets. Go shooting.

whitefish

1tfl,

For my last three scopes, I used a guide available from Pentax called "Guide to Advanced Rifle Scope Mounting". I found it to be very comprehensive and easy to follow and it was free. I can't find it on Pentax's site anymore and Google came up with nothing. I do have a copy in pdf, but its too large (1.6 MB) to post here. If you want, pm me an e-mail address and I will send off to you.

In addition to the great advice that you have already received I would suggest lapping the lower rings once they are in the bases and straight (although if you have verticle rings, this will not be possible).

If you have 1" horizintal rings, I would suggest lapping the lower rings with 1" bar stock (or professional lapping bar from Brownells or Sinclair) and fine or extra fine lapping compound (all described in the Pentax Guide). Lapping will make sure the scope tube is absolutely straight and flush in the rings and therefore will not get stressed/twisted when you clamp down the uppers. While not described in the Pentax manual, I went the extra step of re-blueing the lower rings after lapping in order to prevent rusting.

Also, if you have access to inch pound torgue wrench, torque the various screws to spec.

Enjoy!;)