Need scope idea's for a 6.8spc

HKFan9

I picked up a Remington 700P LTR in 6.8spc with a 20inch fluted barrel. It already has bases and rings..... rings are 1''. Was looking for a nice mid range scope (maybe 2.5-10x or 3-12 perhaps.) I didn't wanna put a huge scope on it since it is just a 20inch barrel. A lot of the scopes I seemed to like came either with a 50mm objective (which I find a little too big) or in a 30mm tube.... which if I can stay with 1'' and the rings I have would be nice. Just looking to hear ideas.

kristop64089

I have a 6.8 AR 16" upper, and I wil probably go with a Primary Arms 4-16x44.

Marshal seems to have top notch customer service, and I have seen little to no complaints, about his offerings.

Worth a look at least.

10mmAuto

If its a range gun go with whatever crazy magnification you want. If you want to use it actively in some hunting scenarios I'd go for a 2-7 power. Personal opinion based on personal experience, I typically find that unless I'm zeroing I never needed that 12, 10, 9 magnification on a round that wasn't at least in the ballistic ballpark of a .308. 2c

If you step on it Cabelas is having a closeout on Burris Fullfield IIs. I have their 2-7 power model with BDC on my BCM and its much, much better suited to that application than the 3-9 power Leupold I had on my S&W AR.

HKFan9

I didn't want to give a price range.... because working at a gun shop I don't really pay retail values.;) I do plan on hunting with it, coyotes mainly. I didn't want a huge scope, because its such a short rifle, but I do prefer a higher magnification.

It will be a coyote gun mainly, maybe some wood chucks, after that a range toy, but yes I do intent to hunt with it.

10mmAuto

Anything more than a nine power is overkill.
Added - pretty much all I use any of my personal weapons for is hunting coyote in open country by day and night.

madcratebuilder

Bushnell is having a close out on it's Elite series and they are very well priced right now. You can save 70% or more on some of them.

The SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical is very popular with long range shooters, lot of scope for the money. Many say it's worth twice it's price.

tirod

The same caliber in an AR, same use, same game, would use a red dot with up to 4X magnification.

If it's a hunter, a 1.5 x 5 with illuminated reticle would be nice. Paper is a different game altogether, and the rifle isn't set up for it. The longer barrel in only good for another 200FPS, and using a scope means barrel length has no affect on accuracy.

Since the ballistics for hunting use point blank to about 4-500m depending on ability, a scope much over 5X at the top won't be of much use. I've got a .30-06 with 3X9, it stays on the low setting when hunting, and it's marginal there. Close shots actually take longer finding the game in the small field of view.

There's the real point, if you start at too much power, it creates a problem at ranges under 50m, and if it goes beyond 5X, it's outside the useful range of the cartridge. I see a lot of posters getting more scope than they can use.

HKFan9

I agree with you Tirod, but like I said, its secondary use will be putting holes in paper for fun, so sometimes a variable with a little higher power is nice, generally hunting, depending on where I am set up, I keep a scope on 4-6x, sometimes lower in the thicker stuff.

I was throwing around the idea of the of the Trijicon Accupoint, with the German post reticle with the green triangle ontop of the post. I really like this scope, I think it would make a nice coyote scope. They also make it in a mil-dot, and a standard cross hair with the tritium dot in the center.. I would get the 3-9x40 because Trijicons other scopes go up to a 56mm OJ which is way too big for what I want.

Last edited:

10mmAuto

If you hunt at night without illumination by choice or legislative necessity the illuminated reticle will be very good.

taylorce1

Leupold MK 4 MR/T 2.5-8X36, should have all the power range you will need for coyotes and chucks, as well as nice low profile you want. Or I'd just pick up a 2.4-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 VX3 with varmint hunters reticle. Leupold will have about the smallest objectives out of any other brand of scope out there.

Not saying you have to go with Leupold, but since you aren't paying retail why not?

The Leupold 4-12x40 that I have on my hunting rifle has served me quite well. 12X is good for those long shots, and 4x is just enough for the close shots. At least to me anyway. I like to be able to see what i'm shooting so I prefer a little more magnification than some...

kristop64089

I'll agree with everything tirod and 10mm said.
The only reason I am looking at the PA, is price. That's it. I have a 4x44 on my AR right now, and it's a great scope, but most likely it will go to my Mini14, and I will need to replace it.

I have looked at scopes till I have gone nuts. Since I'm on a budget, it drew me to PA(along with the reviews) He has a few offerings, but it's value is what drew me in.

bigautomatic

Looks like the Bushnel Elites are indeed on sale most places, and are not terrible scopes in my opinion. But the scopes that have the widest range in magnification (to support short range hunting and long range paper punching) haven't been around too long. Most of the top end makers offer something to accomodate this, but they ain't cheap. For the higher magnifications, I like Sightron or Leupold. Side focus is a must for me also. If your pockets are deep, check out March. But most folks that have the sctratch to buy a March aren't willing to take it outside of a very controlled environment. Mucho dinero...

Longdayjake

I am a Leupold guy myself because I like the amount of eye relief that I get from it. However, for my 6.8 I have been toying with the idea of getting a 2-7 burris fullfield. The glass is just as clear and an AR doesn't kick enough to worry about the shorter eye relief.

HKFan9

I think it is between the Leupold Mark AR and the Trijicon 3x9x40 with the green triangle post reticle.

zoomie

Trijicon 3x9x40
I think I'm gonna go with the Accupoint on my 6.8. It's now my go-to hunting rifle and the longest shots on my lease until they cut the trees again are about 125 yards. So I'm gonna go with the 1-4 instead of the 3-9. It's a compact gun, so I'd like a compact scope. If I hit the lottery, I'll get the NF 1-4x instead. :p

Last edited: