Need scope for AR varminter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemsis

I've been looking through old posts and can't find what I need so I'll ask here

I need a scope for a .223/.556 20" AR varmiter mostly for target shooting 100-300yrds and maybe I'll actually take it varmit hunting.

I will admit I'm a complete rookie when it comes to scopes so bare with me, I'm not trying to spend $1500 but I don't want a $80 piece of junk either I think I can find what I need from $300-$600.

I'm not sure what power I need but I want to be able to see the X ring at 200yrds so I think atleast a 12x , also I'm not sure what reticle to use I like the Leupold varmit hunter but I'm open to what works best.

itman

I received a Leupold VX-II 6-18X40mm linkfor Xmas and love it. It's on top of a 300 WIN Mag so I can shoot 600 yards. At 200 yards I not need my spotting scope to look at the target.

Last edited:

armedtotheteeth

itman-- that link leads me to a nice perty blank screen. Im 1nterested. I might get another leupold rifleman. I got on on my AR30 in 300 WIn and it has been flawless. about 1000 rounds or so. It holds zero like a champ. Last shot was a boar-at about 1000 yards. He was dead in the bushes when i got there a half hour later.
I paid $250 for it at wALLY WORLD. 4-12x

stubbicatt

At higher magnification that scope will appear quite dim. The ideal exit pupil is about the size of your pupil fully dilated. You are looking at between 4.5mm to 5mm exit pupil for ideal light transmission.

High magnification is not as important IMO as is clarity. I have difficulty holding much more than 7x, so I have found for my purposes a 6x is about right. I don't see a need for a variable for prairie dog shooting out to about 500 meters or so.

If you can get a mildot type reticle, do consider it. It makes range estimation much easier with the "Mildot Master" slide rule.

I have come to really like the IOR Valdada 6x "tactical" scope. 1/2 mils for assistance in ranging. 1/4 MOA click adjustable target turrets.

Good luck in your choice.

hockeysew

I put a Nikon Monarch 5.5 x 16.5 with the BDC series on my Varminter.
Crystal clear optics, 1/4 minute adjustments. On a good day when my eyes are working right I can get a 10 shot group @ 200 yds slightly larger than a quarter. I think I got it on sale for $350.00 @ Sportsmans Warehouse. I have had very good luck with the Nikon's. I also have a Buckmaster on my Savage .308 with the Mil-Dot reticle.
I looked at almost every brand when I bought them a year apart and always came back to the Nikon's.
Best optic for the money IMHO.
Give them a look.

HOGGHEAD

Scope

The Leupold 6.5X20X40 with the 30 mm tube. And the Varmint Hunter Reticle, with the side focus. It makes hits out to 450 yards a cinch. I shoot a lot of ground hogs with mine, and this scope is the one. It has all the features a good varmint scope needs. And once you get acustom to the reticle, it becomes automatic. I say out to 450 yards because 450 yards is my limit with the 223 Remington cartridge, and ground hogs. Normally any shot over 300 or 350 I deliver a double tap.

I also have a Bushnell 4200 on another 223. It is the 6X24 model. It is also a great scope. But the leupold is definitely worth the extra money. Tom.

IMG_0507.jpg

Death from Afar

MY DPSM with its free floating upper is used only for Varmints. It wears a Leopold Mark 4 4.5-14. With the barrel chopped down, it really is a .222 range gun. Its a lovely scope, crisp clear optics, never any problems. I did have a Burris Signiture 6-24 but it was too much scope for splatting rabbits.

Nemsis

The Leupold 6.5X20X40 with the 30 mm tube. And the Varmint Hunter Reticle, with the side focus. It makes hits out to 450 yards a cinch. I shoot a lot of ground hogs with mine, and this scope is the one. It has all the features a good varmint scope needs. And once you get acustom to the reticle, it becomes automatic. I say out to 450 yards because 450 yards is my limit with the 223 Remington cartridge, and ground hogs. Normally any shot over 300 or 350 I deliver a double tap.

I also have a Bushnell 4200 on another 223. It is the 6X24 model. It is also a great scope. But the leupold is definitely worth the extra money. Tom.

Thanks Hogghead that is almost the exact setup I'm building :D

How is that varmit rectile at the range? that is where my rifle will spend most of it's time.

HOGGHEAD

VH Reticle

The VH reticle works great. However it takes time and a couple of hundred shots to truly get the hang of it. There are basically three variables involved, so it takes a little time. However if you are willing to take the time then you will achieve quality results.

The only thing I did differently than what Leupold recommends is the power selection. They recommend only using two power's then adjusting yourself to the scope. I did just the opposite. I adjusted the power to my rifle and cartridge. It just took some time and powder to figure it out. Tom.

Young Version

Your best bet is probably Ebay when it comes to buying a Leupold on the cheap. I nearly bought the VX-III 6.5-20X40 from this store, but I went with a Mark 2 6-18x40 from a different online vendor.

Nemsis

Thanks for the help, I ended up getting the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 X 40 mil- dot since I found it for $460 shipped I couldn't pass it up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.