Need scope advice for marlin 917v

gadgetguy1288

I'm purchasing a marlin 917v and need advice on a scope for long range target shooting(150yds+)

doesnt need to break the bank but i want atleast 40mm

i was in walmart earlier and found 2 that i was interested in:
the simmons 22mag and one from a brand called center point, i think it was the adventure series.

also found one online i really liked made by Barska, the .17 Hot Magnum in 6-18*40mm.

are any of them any good?

i can spend a max of about 150 right now, so i dont want anything super spectacular, just something that will get me decent groups for now till i can get something later on.

Thanks

Last edited:

mikejonestkd

Your money would be better spent on anything other than a Barska.

Bushnell banner series are nice for the money. I have several and they have held up just fine on my rimfire rifles.

I have a .22 mag simmons on my son's .22 marlin and it is ok, not great but ok. If I did it again i would get a bushnell banner over the simmons.

For the $150 price tag you can get the bushnell Legend series which are nice too.

j.chappell

I would have to agree with Mike on this one. I have seen many Simmons variables that have a shift in point of impact. Not that big of a deal with large game but varmints and targets on the other hand are a different story.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Mueller!

I have the Eradicator...8.5-25X50. Awesome quality for the price ($225or so), they make lower power in your price range. Undistinguishable from Bushnell Elite 3500 when I shot them side by side.

nbkky71

The guys over on rimefirecentral.com speak pretty highly about Mueller optics. I've never handled or shot with one myself though.