Need Savage MKII (or similar expert)

Doyle

I've got a Savage Stiker Sport which is essentially a pistol shaped version of a left-handed MKII. I bought it 2nd hand.

About 40% of the time, cycling the bolt does not put the firing pin into battery. If I push forward on the trigger as I cycle the bolt, the failure rate drops to about 20%. The bolt is exceptionally clean, so I know it isn't gunk causing the trouble.

I know that one of the tricks used by MK II (pre-accutriger) owners is to clip small sections off of the trigger spring to lighten the trigger pull. Since this pistol has a very light pull, I'm thinking the original owner may have done this - perhaps too much.

My question is this: Does anybody know if the trigger spring has any affect on the little "nub" ((for lack of a more technical word) that engages the bolt piece that pushes the firing pin back? I'm thinking that little nub isn't getting pushed up enough to grab the firing pin.

oneoldsap

Thing a ma bob

;) Ya , it's probably that or the thing a ma jig isn't working properly . Or maybe it's the what cha ma call it !

Doyle

Well, I took it apart this morning and it was in fact the thing-a-ma-jig. There is a set screw that pushes up on the seer spring. Taking a couple of turns of slack out of it pushes the trigger forward with just a little more pressure which keeps the seer (I found out that's what the nub was) engaged. It increased the trigger pull slightly but it is still quite pleasant.