Need Safety Advice on Misfire

SCDeac82

Hi Everyone:

Was shooting my XD9 Sunday in 5-Round strings and had a misfire.

(Hammer fell on a round...no bang.)

I kept the muzzle pointed downrange and waited about 30 seconds, then ejected the round manually.

Primer was dented. Ammo was Federal FMJ.

Got a little nervous looking at the round on the bench. Eventually, I chucked it in the trash.

I was the only shooter at the time.

Should I have done anything differently?

Thanks.

JB

l98ster

Were you at a range or on private property? the reason that I ask is because most ranges have a bin that you can put misfired rounds in safely.

You did absolutely right by keeping the gun pointed downrange for 30 seconds. When something like that happens to me, I do the same. When you eject the round, I put it on the bench, again, pointing downrange.

Putting it in the trash is the iffy part. Like I said before, there is usually a "squib" container at a range. Overall, I think you are fine!

-George

Pahoo

Last week one of my shooting friends ran into this problem with some of his .45ACP reloads and he just cocked the hammer and restuck them. He had about six of these and just kept on shooting. Acted like this had happened to him before. All during the process, kept good muzzle control. Were yours reloads?

JMHO; but I don't see that you did anythig wrong. I'll have to keep an eye one this post and see what other folks think. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Kreyzhorse

I've only had one misfire and that was with a 7.62x54R rifle round but I did exactly what you did. Muzzle down range for 30 second and then chuck the round in the trash.

To be honest, I've never seen a range with a squib container but it's a good idea.

Casimer

That was probably just a light strike. For future reference - you can reload those and try firing them again.

I'd have taken it with me otherwise, unless the range specifically provides a dud barrel. Many don't, they only have brass and trash buckets. The problem w/ leaving a loaded round at the range is that someone may attempt to fire it. If the round has been set-back (i.e. the bullet's been pushed into the case), it could be dangerous.

HighValleyRanch

Got a little nervous looking at the round on the bench. Eventually, I chucked it in the trash.

Perhaps this might be discussed.
It is my understanding that...
A round on the bench, while not totally harmless, is not the same as a round in the chamber. If the round goes off, it does have some potential for damage, but more like a firecracker, as it does not have a fixed chamber to explode against. The case and bullet will separate with almost equal pressure.
But it's not like the case will be fixed and the bullet will go very far.

temmi

I would have given the round to the Range Officer for disposal.

Other than that things were good…. But a live round in the trash is a bad idea

James K

Member In Memoriam
Two points.

1) Make sure the case that comes out still has its bullet; if it doesn't, that bullet may be stuck in the barrel. A "squib" load can seem to be a misfire, but firing the next round behind a stuck bullet will seriously damage the gun and may injure the shooter.

2) If a shooter is experiencing misfires, it is OK to just "try again" on the range, but the cause of the misfires should be found and corrected ASAP, especially if the gun is even remotely considered for serious purposes.

Jim

stevieboy

Misfires happen. Generally, there are two causes: (1) incorrectly loaded ammunition; and (2) light hammer strikes.

I've had misfires with commercial ammo and with ammo that friends have loaded. Sometimes there's a simple screwup, the casing is primed but a bullet is seated without powder being added. Or, occasionally, you get a defective primer.

Light strikes sometimes are the consequence of someone's idea of an action job. A couple of years ago I purchased a .22 lr revolver at a gun show, a Smith & Wesson 617. It had an incredibly light trigger and I remember thinking that it was almost too good to be true. It was too good to be true, I got light strikes on about 50% of the rounds I fired. Replacing the mainspring fixed that problem for good.

When I get a misfire with a semiauto my routine is to eject the round, wait 1/2 minute or so, then discard it. With a revolver, I'll generally recycle the cylinder and try to shoot it in single action (the hammerfall in single action is generally heavier than in double action). It's a VERY GOOD THING to check for a squib before firing the next round after a misfire occurs. Other posters are right, a squib can mimic a misfire and firing round into a barrel with a dead round jammed halfway down it can be disastrous.

BigJimP

Like mentioned above - you have to be careful of squib rounds - but you did fine in waiting and clearing it - and making sure bullet was still in the case.

Factory ammo is not immune from having issues from time to time / although most of it is just fine ...my hunch is you had a light primer strike. Lots of things can cause it ...and if this issue persists, you need to have the gun looked at / and get it fixed. One of my 1911's was showing some light primer strikes after 30,000 rds and it needed a new mainspring ...that I had neglected to change...

In most cases like yours / I would just fire the round again especially if my gun had no history of malfunctions and it was factory ammo vs tossing it in the trash - or give it to the range master. If its one of my own reloads - I will always set it aside / pull the bullet and inspect the powder and primer seating.

I would not worry about a round with a dented primer sitting on the bench ...but if it makes you nervous, get rid of it by giving it to the range master.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Stevieboy and guys,

Hangfires, though exceedingly rare with fresh ammunition are a real concern with old or milsurp ammo. But if there is a hangfire, your approach is wrong. You do not eject the round and wait. If it is a hangfire, the round may go off after the gun is unlocked, damaging the gun and possibly injuring the shooter, or in the air, or on the bench.

Wait that half minute with the gun pointed safely down range, then eject the round keeping the breech away from your face and hands. Dispose of the round in the "dud bucket" or otherwise safely.

Jim

Manco

HighValleyRanch said:
A round on the bench, while not totally harmless, is not the same as a round in the chamber. If the round goes off, it does have some potential for damage, but more like a firecracker, as it does not have a fixed chamber to explode against. The case and bullet will separate with almost equal pressure.
But it's not like the case will be fixed and the bullet will go very far.

Yeah, but relatively speaking the bullet will be nearly fixed and the case may shoot out with enough velocity to do some damage. :eek:

rtpzwms

I got this from the waste management website:

Unacceptable Items

medical waste
explosives
ammunition
radioactive waste

So according to them not in the trash... So the rangemaster, squibb bucket(I've never seen one), or find some other "proper way" to get rid of it. I've got a bullet puller then add a little oil to the primer and its dead. I've almost never had to do it in over 30+years of shooting.

demigod

I kick a no fire round out immediately. Once out of the chamber it's not nearly as dangerous.

I'd save it and pull it apart later to see why it was a no go.

cerberus65

I've never had a reload fail to fire. Most all of my factory misfires have been bulk .22. Although I have had 1 or maybe 2 WWB misfires. The .22's (after an appropriate pause) get rotated and tried again. Centerfire rounds only get one chance. The 1 or 2 centerfire rounds and the 2 or 3 .22's that failed to fire on the second or third hit got taken home and pulled apart with a kinetic bullet puller. And sure enough, no primer compound at all. Ooops!

So I think you did great to wait in case it was a hang fire. A lot of folks I see immediately eject the round. If you don't reload and so don't have a way to pull the bullet, throwing it in the trash at the end of your range session is about your only option. By then it's highly unlikely to go off if it hasn't already. But JMHO.

Manco

rtpzwms said:
I got this from the waste management website:

Unacceptable Items

medical waste
explosives
ammunition
radioactive waste

So according to them not in the trash...

By the way, take a closer look at what they're saying--that these items are unacceptable even for their Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facilities, let alone the regular garbage dump. The accompanying list of "acceptable items" are HHWs that they can dispose of for you, but still do not belong in the regular trash bin.

JerryM

I have had very few misfires. However, I do not wait more than a few seconds. I have had a few hangfires, but they fire within a fraction of a second. I have never had a "misfire" fire, except when rechambered and struck again.

I realize that folks recommend waiting 30 seconds or so, but I would like any factual information if anyone you know has ever had a misfire that went off after 1 second? Any published information that you would think is factual?

Thanks,
Jerry

alienbogey

Our club has a dud round disposal - a small barrel with about 15" of water in it. Misfires/hangfires won't cause any harm if they cook off - the water will contain any frag from the case. Lots of .22LR end up in there, a fair number of reload centerfire, and the occasional factory centerfire.

Catfishman

I think the only time you would be in real danger is when you partially pull the slide back. The round is still in the chamber and if the round fired pressure would blow the bullet out the barrel and the case backwards.

I had a misfire with a .308 once while trying to shoot a beaver. I recocked the gun and pulled the trigger several times but it didn't fire. I broke the rifle open and could see the primer was dented very well. Then it occurred to me that if the thing went off it would blow the case back at me. I just let the round eject into the water.

Bullets aren't very dangerous outside of guns. Unless a round goes off in you hand or a peice of metal hits your eye you should be fine.