Need Recommendation for Laser Bore Sight

hammie

I'm sure that Diane Feinstein and Chuck Schumer would be horrified at the quantity, but I have a LOT of rifles and have been swapping a lot of scopes lately. I've decided that I need a laser bore sighter. Can anyone offer suggestions? I don't want to bore sight in my closet and so it needs to be bright. I've been looking at a Site-Light Mag Laser in green.

Any recommendations or shared experiences will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Pahoo

Question ??

laser bore sighter
I know what I'm reading but not quite there, on what I'm understanding. Could you be more specific or better yet, post a link on the one you are referring to? :confused:

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

hammie

I'm sorry for the confusion. I don't know what else to call them. Perhaps If I can describe the function.

It is a device which you can insert in the end of a rifle barrel and it will shine a dot. You then move the cross hairs on your newly mounted scope to line up with the dot. The purpose is to get your point of aim close to the point of impact and save some ammunition and time when sighting in you scope at the range. Thanks for you attention. This is the best I can do.

Pahoo

Got it !!!

I'm sorry for the confusion.
No, you're fine. What kind of threw me off is the dual color and also the word "sight" ??

Anyway, you are asking about a "Laser Bore-Sighter. I mostly have experience with the muzzle insert type, in "Red". To be honest with you, I only use it on handguns and there are potential errors that this type present. You will have to compensate for, for this. One of my shooting buddies, has the breech caliber type for the rifle calibers that he uses. I've have borrowed his for rifle sighting when I can't sight, through the bore. …. :)

By my measure, the breech type are more accurate but I always confirm by rotating the cartridge.

Be Safe !!!

hammie

@ pahoo. I'll take a look at the breach type. All it needs to do is get the point of impact on the paper.

Pahoo

Deplorable's view !!!

I'll take a look at the breach type. All it needs to do is get the point of impact on the paper.
I too am a "Deplorable" and that makes me cheap. Before you shell out a bunch of bucks, try this initial check ??

Depending the actions and yardages, you are working with, why not try Just looking through the bore, at a target. Looking from breech to muzzle, your eye will "naturally" center the target. I do this initial check at just under 100yds and it works fairly well.

Keep us updated and;
Be Safe !!!

TXAZ

I bought a Sightmark .50 Cal Boresight a few years ago, and would buy it again. I sight in on a stop sign at 200 yards away, and the dot is easy to see on the stop sign, or on a nearby white surface at about 80 yards. And it's easily within 2 MOA of true.

hammie

Thanks for all the data points. For both rimfire and centerfire, I have single shots, levers, autoloaders, and pumps (and bolts of course). I'm thinking the barrel mounted bore sighter may be more universally accepted, but I'll keep in mind "pahoo's" caution about the accuracy of that type of system. TXAZ's suggestion is really worth exploring. The brighter "green" Sightmark is about 80$ from midway, while the Site-Light green is 230$. TXAZ's recommendation brings a significant savings. Plus the customer reviews were good on the Sightmark.

One thing I've noticed through the years: Almost everyone in the shooting sports community are honest, honorable, courteous, and helpful. Thanks to everyone for maintaining that tradition. We should all pat ourselves on the back.

Last edited:

Bart B.

Looking from breech to muzzle, your eye will "naturally" center the target.
Looking through the bore to see how much a distant object appears off its center involves the same optovisual principles to eliminate parallax as aligning the front sight and target on a rear sight's aperture center. There is no "natural" centering by the human eye. If the line of sight from eye to target is also centered on the back end of a 24" barrel, for every .007" off the bore center at the muzzle the LOS is, the bore axis aligns about 1 inch/MOA away from the LOS at 100 yards. Do your own math.

There's no "natural" centering of the eye on a scope axis to eliminate parallax.

This may well be the oldest myth in shooting sports.

All elements of each system are only aligned on one visual axis when we consciously move two of them onto the one main axis between eye and target.

That said, visually bore sighting works good to get within a few to several MOA on paper. Bushnell's $35 laser Sight-Align works pretty good.

Last edited:

jmr40

I've never saved a single round of ammo, nor one minute of my time using any type of sighting tool over just shooting the rifle at a target. I can do it FASTER and easier with a bolt gun than trying to use a tool.

Those tools will only get you within 4-6" of your aiming point. I can do better than that at 50 yards by looking through the barrel.

If you're not able to see through the bore simply use a big enough target at 50 yards that you can't miss. Poster board at Walmart is about 60-70 cents for a sheet. All you have to do is put ONE hole in paper with the 1st shot. It doesn't matter if it is 2 inches from the bull or 2 feet.

Most scopes move POI 1/8" per click at 50 yards. Once you determine how far your POI is off from POA simply move the scopes adjustments the correct number of clicks. Shot #2 will be very close to your POA.

I then move to 100 yards. No point in wasting ammo at 50, all I need to know is that shot #3 will be on paper at 100 yards. I fire shot #3 at 100 and once again determine how far my POI is off from POA. I then move the scope adjustments the appropriate number of clicks.

Most scopes will be 1/4" at 100 yards. You might need to check 1st, some scopes are 1/2" at 100 yards, some 1/3" at 100 yards, but 1/4" is most common with hunting scopes.

I don't start firing for groups until I get to shot #4. I may need to tweak things a tad, but I can be close enough to easily hit a big game animal at 100 yards by firing only 3 rounds. You can't do any better with any of these tools.

hammie

@jmr40: Thanks for weighing in. Your advice is always golden.

The thing is, I've been taking advantage of various optic sales over the past two years, and have upgraded the optics on many rifles. Haven't counted, but I'm guessing 20 or 30 need to be sighted in. So I'm looking for something easy on a mass scale. I've never been that successful with visually bore sighting unless I clamp the rifle down. And how do you visually bore sight a Rem 7400, Rem 7600, Savage 99, Marlin 62, Rem 597, Marlin 60, etc? Some other levers and pumps, which I have, can be done, but with some dis-assembly. Plus where I live there are no public lands, and I'm limited to privately owned ranges, which are not always as flexible and one would wish.

I understand your method and have used it, but I'd like to try the new technology. If it is un-satisfactory, then I'm not out a lot of money, and I can still go back to basics.

Thanks again, and stay healthy.

tangolima

Bore sighting, with eye ball or tool, is to place the shot on paper so that you have something to work with for adjusting the scope / sight. Starting at short distance, say 25yd or even closer, and with a big paper target, one probably don't even need to bore sight. The sighter can never replace test firing, so the savings on ammunition, if any, will probably take a long time to cover the cost of the sighter tool.

Having said that, I do find collimator useful, and I own one.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hammie

@Bart B: When I first read your post #12, I thought of some contortionist act from Cirque du Soleil. But then the link revealed that it was a dental mirror. I have a dental mirror, but never thought of using it that way. I also have a set of dental "picks", which are great for removing powder residue, dirt and grease from hard to reach places in firearms. However, I think I'll stick with a barrel mounted sighter.

I obtained the dental tools during the 2005-2006 housing crash. I helped a friend do "clean-outs" and minor repairs for mortgage companies and bank on jingle keyed or repossessed houses. We had salvage rights, and one house had a large set of dental tools, which I grabbed. It was amazing and kind of sad about what people left behind- tools vintage and collectible items, etc. I guess they had no place to take them.

@jpx2rk: I didn't know about the wheeler engineering bore sighter. I see that it also comes with the option of a green laser, which seems to be brighter than the red. I have other wheeler products, and the quality is good, and so I will add this to my list of possibilities. Thank you.

Last edited:

pete2

The only bore sight I ever used was while working at Bass Pro. I don't need one, I can shoot at the range, never ever had trouble getting the first shot on paper. You gotta shoot it anyway. Waste of money.

hammie

@pete2: You're absolutely correct. You'll wind up and the range anyway. However, I've got so many to do that I'm looking for a time saver. In any case, you can never have too many shooting related gadgets. I'm getting up in years, and I might as well spend my kids inheritance.

tangolima

Collimator is amazing. I had to take scope off client's guns more than a few times. I first recorded down the collimator readings. After remounting the scope, I rechecked with the collimator. Made adjustments to bring it back to the same readings as before. Told the client to recheck zero. They all said it was almost right on.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

reynolds357

I have never cared for the laser boresighters. Not seen any accuracy from them. On occasion, I use a collimator. I usually just old school bore sight it on paper. The boresighter is not perfect. I can zero in the same amount of shots with or without one. Everyone gets lucks now and again and hits perfect using any method, but its rare.

Last edited:

pete2

Hammie, there ain't nothing wrong with spending the kids inheritance, I'd rather spend it on ammo tho. It's a good excuse to spend more time at the range.