Need reccomendation McMillan, HS Precision....

Any .45

I'm looking for a new rifle to get my self for christmas, or order for christmas and just wait for it to be done. The SO gave the go ahead and I'm not one to argue. So here is what I'm looking at, an AR-10 Variation it would be either the ASI/Armalite/ Magpul in .308 or the ASI/Armalite long range in .308., other option is a McMillan Bros MCRT, or ans HS Precision. I like all three but really don't know anything about any of them, I'm pretty sure there are few owners of the HS and McMillan and was hoping I might find someone that has an ASI. They all guarantee 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. and they are pretty much what I'm looking in a custom rifle, I have a 2 hunting rifles and 2-AR-15 one M4 and one a Varmint but I really want something custom now, and I really like the looks of the tactical versions. if anyone can give me some input it would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Any .45

elliott

I would go with the HS HTR or maybe even the FN SPR A3, either will give you 1/2 MOA.

Go to snipershide.com There is some really good guys over there and most are LEO snipers or military snipers.

L Puckett

I would suggest before you purchase a rifle, you define for yourself "what you want to do" with a rifle.

If you want to shoot long range precision, look at a custom bolt rifle. McBros makes a nice rifle, albiet expensive. There are some very fine custom shops that can produce as fine or finer rifles for a little less money and built exactly to your specs.

If you want to shoot mid-range precision and some long range. A gas gun can be fun. Again, there are some custom shops that can build a very precise rifle.

As a general rule (in comparable customs), a bolt rifle will shoot more consistantly tight groups at long range than a gas gun. There are more 1/4 MOA bolt guns than gas guns. (I say this hoping no one wants to start the 1/4, 1/2, 1 MOA debates).

LP

Any .45

Puckett any reccomendations to look into as far as other custom shops that might less expensive than McMillan or HS with the same or better quality as you say. I'm not set on any of the shops listed above I just know they're the most popular and they are in my consideration, but who wouldn't want to save a few hundred bucks on a good quality rifle. I will be using the rifle mostly for long range with some mid range. Thanks:)

L Puckett

Any .45,

I apologize for not listing them in my initial post.

LR Precision:

George Gardener - GA Precision, No. Kansas City, MO
Terry Cross - KMW Long Range Solutions, Forest Hill, LA (no website, contact direct)
Jered Joplin - Patriot Arms, Buford, GA
Mike Resignito (sp) - Tac-Ops, Beverly Hills, CA

All of these men (shops) produce extremely fine bolt rifles and have reputations that rival McBros.

Gas Guns:

George Gardener - GA Precision
Jared Joplin - Patriot Arms

I can say that all of the shops listed can build what you need or they will direct you to "the best man", as they are all professionals and true gentlemen. In the Tactical precision world, these are generally considered the top 4 custom shops.

LP

Last edited:

elliott

I completely agree with these choices, in fact I have a GAP and a KMW on the way, both fine rifles. I would also look at Randy Cain (AKA HateCa) from R&D precision. You can look at his site direct or see a lot of his work on snipershide.com

Jered is one hell of a guy and will talk your ear off for hours. Mike from Tac Ops is nice as hell as well, but his products are on the more expensive side, but he does have a nice attention to detail.

George Gardener - GA Precision, No. Kansas City, MO
Terry Cross - KMW Long Range Solutions, Forest Hill, LA (no website, contact direct)
Jered Joplin - Patriot Arms, Buford, GA
Mike Resignito (sp) - Tac-Ops, Beverly Hills, CA

Mute

I don't know if L Puckett's recommended smiths are the top four, but you certainly can't go wrong with them (just got a rifle made by GA Precision myself). They are among the best smiths around.

I would also recommend these two gentlemen in addition to the ones already named:

- Jerry Rice (no not the football player) of Norcal Precision
- Randy Cain of RD Precision

I'd say they can make as good a rifle as anyone. Good luck on your search. And don't forget to have fun with the whole process.

L Puckett

Mute,

You are very correct in the "relative" statement of the Top 4 builders. I am saying this based on the "large following" that these shops have and in the number of rifles they produce in the tactical arena.

I properly should have added that there are a good number of very good shops available. Many of which are not as well known as the listed 4 shops but just as capable.

Randy and Jerry both are very good and they are great guys to boot.

I did overlook one other gas-gun builder that is very good and that is White Oak Precision, Carlock, IL.

My apologies for the "broad brushed" statement, but in the "craft" I doubt that there are many negatives to the 4 shops listed.

LP