Need opinions on compact DA 45's

OkieCruffler

Giving some thought to picking one up for occasional carry. Only real requirements are being 45 (of course) and DA or DAO. Double stack mags wouldn't be too bad either but one mustn't get too greedy. So what's out there? what works, what doesn't?

oldandslow

OC, 1/27/13

I prefer smaller .45 DA/SA pistols and have tried a few. I prefer the Sig p-245/ 220 compact, SW 4513tsw, SW 457. All have alloy frames and are light, reliable and accurate. The SW 4516, an all stainless pistol is also a winner. The HK-USPcompact is overpriced but carries well. The Beretta 8045 minicougar is also pretty good but is hard to find and the 6 round mags are really tough to find. I'm not into the newer plastic pistols but I'm sure someone will chime in with some good recommendations. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

tristar viper

I respectfully disagree that the USP is over-priced at all. Dis-assemble an H&K, and lay all the parts beside those of another pistol. H&K's machine work is exceptional, the attention to detail is top notch, and the fit and finish is beautiful.
No, I don't own an H&K. I too used to think they were just some over priced plastic gun. But then I had a gunsmith voluntarily (a Glock Armorer actually) disassemble one when I told him I thought they cost too much, and point out to me all the attention to detail and fine workmanship that goes into an H&K. Needless to say, I no longer think they are over-priced.

OkieCruffler

I figure the HK is about as overpriced as the rest of them. I really like the S&W 4516. Gonna brouse a few sites today and look for one.