Need opinion on trade.

MR.G

A local dealer has a prelock S&W 686 4" in excellent condition that I would like to have. I have a like new and unfired S&W 637, with original box and papers, that he will take in trade. He wants $200.00 and my gun for the 686.
I was thinking of a number less than $200.00, but he is firm. The $200.00 is an OTD price. Is this a fair deal?

pogo2

Trading with gun dealers

When I want to estimate the value of a used gun I go to Gunbroker.com and find some auctions for the same gun in the same condition, looking only at "no reserve" auctions. Here is an auction for a 4 inch barrel S&W 686 in "excellent" condition, prelock, for $475:
S&W 686 for $475

And here is an auction for a brand new S&W 637 for $360 on Gunbroker:
S&W model 637 for $360

So I would say, based on this, that the 686 is worth about $115 more than your "like new" 637, if you were trading with the previous owner of the 686. But a dealer wants to make a profit margin on the deal, and he can buy a new 637 from S&W for wholesale price, something under $360. So I am not surprised that he would ask for $200 in addition to your 637.

Your only real alternative is to sell your 637 directly to a buyer who is not a dealer and try to get about $320 for it, then pay cash for the 686. But you have to find a buyer, which may take awhile.

bubbygator

The dealer has a minimum profit he has to make - regardless of the relative value of the guns. I'd say he's giving you as good a deal as he is able to do. If it's really OTD cost (no tax, no CNI check, etc.), and you want the gun, I'd say go for it. We usually lose a little playing with our guns.

Ichiro

A working man needs to make money. I don't think he'll have any trouble selling either Smith, but every gun transaction requires time and loads of paperwork. We all need to get paid for our work.

The only way to beat the system is to keep your 637 and buy the other gun outright. That'll show him.

JoeHatley

You are almost always better off buying a used gun outright for the best cash price, and then selling your gun privately later, or maybe even on consignment at the same shop.

Having said that, the deal sounds pretty average.

Joe