Need new bolt stop for Bolo Mauser?

Sulaco2

Picked up a re-finished Bolo Mauser in the original 7.62 mauser caliber last month. Reading up on it seems like a LOT of people suggest replacing the bolt stop as a matter of course as its the only thing stopping the bolt from leaving the frame on recoil. Seems like there may have been some that failed and allowed the bolt to fly back. Anybody had any experiance with this or that suggest that I replace a perfectly good (looking) bolt stop with a "new one".

I'm one of those people.

I simply stopped shooting Mauser C96 pistols.

I don't know of anyone making new bolt stops.

That something LOOKS good isn't applicable. Crystalized metal parts can fail even if they look perfect.

My mug is ugly enough. I don't need a Hellraiser-style accoutremont to add to it.

Sulaco2

Thanks Mike, but I think its "accoutrement". :)

Did you actually see any with problems or do I take it yours was a proactive move?

Wildalaska

If the bolt stop is numbered to the gun, take it out and examine it carely under magnification. Look for cracks. See any, then time for a new one (gun parts corp)...if the barrel extension is the slightest bit peened....dont shoot it even with a new bolt stop!

Also buy new springs from Wolf and install them no matter what you choose to do

WildbroomienutAlaska

I've seen several cracked/fractured bolt stops over the years.

As I said, I won't shoot Mauser C96 pistols, which is a real shame, because I REALLY like the C96.

saber22

Well thats your descision. I shoot mine all the time. Wolf has a 10% extra power recoil spring if you want some extra security.

Ive replaced the springs and I check the gun out after every 100 rds for stress and after every 10 when I try new ammo. No problems shoots great and I have a ball.

The Main spring is the most important one on a Mauser it takes up most of the recoil force. The recoil spring in the bolt is just to cushion the impact into the bolt stop and return it to battery. Some parts are tricky to find but with over 1 million Brooms made there are plentry of sources for new and old parts.

I really think that the stories of the bolt blowing out of mausers came from the chinese ones, and from chinese parts put in german guns during WW2 and the second Sino-Japanese war.

I wont argue agianst the crystalization talk, but that theory is often over done on old weapons. Ive seen and handled 200yr old swords that were still battle ready and Ive seen them cut just as good today in tests.

If you want to shoot it the 7.62 Seller&Belliot ammo is good. Its a little lighter than original 7.63 ammo but cycles the action and still pretty effective.
Some Warsaw pact 7.62 surplus is good to but some is too hot also, and it is all corosive.

DutchmanDick

SARCO has someone manufacturing new bolt stops for them. They sell for $38.00 (part number MSR397). They are currently (as of this posting) on backorder for about 2 weeks.