Need load data for Berry's bullets and Unique powder

arkie2

I'm in the possession of some Berry's plated HBRN 185 grain .45 bullets. I've been using Titegroup but I want to try Unique (first time using Unique ever) and I want to be sure my load is good. I called Berry and they referred me to their rep in California who recommended 7.3 grains. I have a Lee turret press with the disks and the nearest load I can get is 7.6 grains which is what I used (5 rounds only). The Lee data for 185 grain jacketed bullets is 8.0 grains of Unique minimum and 8.2 grains maximum (pretty narrow spread!). Even that minimum load runs in excess of 1,000 FPS though, which I believe is too hot for the plated bullets. So, the question is, will the reduction to 7.6 grains keep the muzzle velocity within the capability of the plated bullets.

Before I go to the range I would appreciate any comments regarding this load. Thanks.

freakshow10mm

Use lead data for plated bullets and work up for there.

Verify your charge with the Lee disks. If the recommended combo runs a little high, back down one disk hole and try that one. Sometimes it's better to be a few tenths under than over.

Alliant says 6gr Unique is max with a 180gr lead bullet. Drop 10% from that and start at about 5.5gr.

arkie2

Ok, thanks. My load sounds pretty heavy then. There was no lead bullet data for Unique in the Lee book and the Berry rep said I could use the jacketed data. 7.6 grains sounds like it might be way too much.

CortJestir

For your reference: I have load data from Rainier who also makes copper plated bullets just like Berry's. Here's what they list for a 185gr FP .45 bullet:

COAL: 1.275"
Max OAL: 1.275"
Start: 5.6gr Unique / 806fps
Max: 8.4gr Unique / 1064fps

Again this is for an FP bullet and not an RN, so take that into consideration.

PM me your email address and I can email you the PDF I have of Rainier's load data.