Need lead

thallub

A good source of inexpensive pure lead is roofers. Roofers remove and replace the lead roof stacks.

Melting and casting lead into ingots is easy.

Last edited:

USSR

Yep, lead roofing and lead pipe are both excellent sources of pure lead, and one or the other can often be found at your local scrap yard.

Don

Chainsaw.

#50?! You got big plans Wendy? I stumble upon it here and there and have aquired some through the years. My biggest haul was a sail boat keel. It alone would have set some folks up for life. Keep your eyes peeled.

Don Fischer

I scrounged wheel weight's for years. Probably have over 800# laying around in ingot's, last me the rest of my life. Got a couple rolls of pure lead out of the walls of an x-ray room years ago and found some lino type metal to mix it with so as not to be to soft. These days here in Oregon, lead wheel weight's are a thing of the past. But roof lead is still around though. Only problem is getting something to mix in it to make it harder. There might be a good supply of wheel weight's on farm's and ranch's around the country. Seem's that when rancher's and farmer's get a new car they park the old one's in a scrap yard on their property. Might be a good place to look!

Wendyj

I have gone through 60 lbs in the last month. I am down to 40 lbs and was trying to keep my supply up. I am getting ready to cast some big old 405 grain bullets and a bunch of 44 and 45 colt. The people over at cast boolits are having a hard time in this heat dealing with melting right now. I cast about 8-900 45 colt bullets last weekend starting around 5:30 in the morning. It was hot by time I finished. Good thing I can lube size in the cool of the house.

reddog81

405 grain bullets....! You need to start shooting some .38 Specials. Your lead will last a lot longer that way... Just kidding. If shooting rounds that big the only economical way to do it is to cast and reload your own.

Like others have mentioned it might be worth it to try your local scrap yards, tire shops, and online sources like craigslist and armslist. I tried calling all the local scrap yards a couple years ago with no luck. They don't sell to individuals off the street. Craigslist and armslist have been my best sources.

Bimus

I have found out that when at a yard or estate sale when they are cleaning out the guy stuff .
It's good to ask them about any lead they may have . even a coffee can could be 35 pounds. and they have no idea what they are going to do with it.

Wendyj

I need to search more. I went to about 8 tire stores a few months back and one gave me a 5 gallon bucket full. Time I pulled out zinc steel and valve stems I wound up with about 1 lb of lead. Lot of work for no more than I got. Lead wheel weight hard to find here. I’ll try the craigslist local adds. Roto Metals too rich for me. I thought it might be a last resort.

Wag

Lately, I've been getting lead products from the local scrap yard. They have the same problem with wheel weights, though. Too much zinc. Last time, I bought a bucket of wheel weights, I ended up with the same issue you had. Not even worth the time to sort through it all. The scrap guy did tell me I could sit there in his yard and cull out the zinc but still not worth it.

They have a lot of raw lead sheeting, though, so if you're willing to alloy up with tin and antimony, you can get some really good deals. One day, I found a bucket of old bullets someone had cast but they were in bad shape and had to be melted down. Some decent lead, though.

Good luck to you.

--Wag--

Scorch

That $3 a pound!
You don't do math real good, do ya.
55/25 = $2.20/lb shipped

$1/lb for 15 + $12 for shipping = $1.80/lb. Not a huge difference, and she said she needed it ASAP.

USSR

Quote:
That $3 a pound!

You don't do math real good, do ya.
55/25 = $2.20/lb shipped

The link I looked at said 25# for nearly $75 shipped (73.99 to be exact). Any way you look at it, that's $3 per pound.

Don