Need input on value: M94 Trapper, 45 Colt, Tang safety, NIB

RIDE-RED 350r

Hey all,

My uncle passed away this past summer, and my Aunt is going to be selling his collection giving family the first opportunity at buying.

What I am interested in is a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt with the tang safety. My Uncle bought this rifle new and never fired it.

My uncle had a friend who is an FFL that he made arrangements with to help my Aunt appraise and sell for him when he was gone. And we in the family are totally OK with giving her a fair price for anything we buy. We are not looking for any deep family discounts here. It was my uncle's wishes that she do well with selling some of the estate to get his dream fulfilled of building a small lake house for them. And we in the family fully intend to honor his wishes.

So with that being said, I have looked on GB, and it's really hard to gauge what I should expect to spend on this rifle. There are only 9 listings on there currently for Trappers in 45 Colt. Some are half cock safety, others have the wart, and a couple have the tang safety. Most have starting bids and BIN prices north of $800 but only one has any bids so far.. This is not very helpful, and GB is seldom a real good indicator of true reasonable value at which a gun will actually sell for.

I don't have any pics, but as I said, this rifle is NIB, never fired. Caliber is 45 Colt, and has the tang safety...

I would appreciate any thoughts offered on this.

Blindstitch

I don't know the answer but other people on here should.

But why don't you ask the FFL what he would give for it. Most places give you something like 60% of a guns value when you take it to sell/trade unless you sell it on consignment.

If in the long run what's going to happen is a pile of guns goes to the FFL anyway his price won't go up but you can be assured his asking price when he's selling it will.

kcub

Look in the advanced search functionality on gunbroker. You can see auctions up to 90 days old and see what they actually sold for. Not the same as what is being asked.

T. O'Heir

My condolences.
It have the large ring lever? Lotta variations in Trappers. All of which affect the value.
There are a few on GunsAmerica. One, 16" barrel, with the larger ring is asking $999. Another, 20" barrel, without the big ring is asking $1199. Both dealers and both with the cross bolt safety. Your's is supposedly a later version. Tang safety introduced 2003/4.

RIDE-RED 350r

Thanks gents..

I'll have to swing back in GB and see if I can figure out that search for completed sales. I was not aware of that feature there... And I have always been a little sketchy on looking at current listing on GB because some/many seem over priced and get relisted over and over again due to not selling.

I am sure that the dealer friend of my aunt will price them accurately, that is not a worry. I was just poking around online to see if I could figure out a rough ballpark of what I should expect.

Thanks again for the input and the tip on being able to see completed transactions on GB. :) That should help immensely. :)