Need info on Wilson Combat 45s

fire4606

Can someone give me a quick tutorial on buying a used Wilson combat CQB, 4" ??

When new do these always bring full MSRP ?

Guy put an additional set of starburst grips on it, but it looks like he drilled out the screw holes so he could use the short screws he had on hand, there is bare unfinished wood at the top of the screw holes and the screw tops are recessed down into the grips instead of on top like I see in pictures online...

Waiting for a response on round count and if he is the original owner, he is looking to get $2300 for it used with two sets of grips and night sights, blued gun...

Just not sure what it would have sold at new, will try to get a pic posted up

http://s6.postimg.org/l79gwf5q9/image.jpg

Pistol was made in 2008 and has some subtle differences compared to current production.

Last edited:

IdahoG36

My only experience with purchasing a used Wilson Combat was about 7-8 years ago. I purchased a full sized stainless Protector, with an additional set of G10 grips and 10 47D magazines for $1800 shipped. The pistol was in like new condition.

IMO, Wilson Combat prices seem to go like this: Somebody is going to pay full retail at ~$3500+. If they decide to resell, they are going to try to sell as close to that ~$3500 mark as possible, but will soon realize that generally $1500-$2500 is more realistic depending on condition.

CPO15

That's a pretty good looking Wilson but I'd want to see several more photos to check overall appearance. Looks like an upgraded front sight, WC's come stock with a FO front. I wouldn't let the grip holes bother me; full sized, slotted screws may cover the blemishes and the grips are beautiful.

My only LGS with stocked Wilsons sell at full MSRP but several online dealers offer discounts of several hundred. A few sell above MSRP, but not by much: their appeal is to get the gun w/o the wait which only works if the gun is optioned the way you want it. Check the Wilson website for preferred dealers.

I don't think the price mentioned is out of line. But you could get a new Baer for not much more. I "collect" Wilsons, so I'm partial to them, but I've never bought a used one or sold one of mine.

Smarter people than me can address your issues on the following forum:

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

JDBerg

There are so many great alternatives for $2,300.00; for less than that cost, you could send a new Colt Series 70 to Wilson Combat's Custom Shop for a complete custom rework with all the Wilson Bulletproof parts, done exactly the way you would want it, and the final result would be a custom Colt that everyone would want; that Wilson CQB is a fine piece built the way somebody else wanted it. Just my $0.02

IdahoG36

^^^ I agree. I only bought my Wilson because at $1800 like new, it was a great deal. I made money on it when I sold it.

But I wouldn't spend over $2000 on a Wilson Combat. I would buy a Dan Wesson, or as JDBerg suggested, a NIB Colt Series 70 and send it to Wilson Combat to be customized.

Just my humble opinion, but 1911s are the epitome of diminishing returns. What do you really get from a $3000 1911 that you don't get from a $1500-$2000 1911? Not that there's anything wrong with a high end 1911; you're more than welcome to spend your money however you see fit. In the end it's all about what you want, what you are looking for, and what you are willing to pay for it. You will find a 1911 maker to fit ANY budget.

JDBerg

Just my humble opinion, but 1911s are the epitome of diminishing returns. What do you really get from a $3000 1911 that you don't get from a $1500-$2000 1911? Not that there's anything wrong with a high end 1911; you're more than welcome to spend your money however you see fit. In the end it's all about what you want, what you are looking for, and what you are willing to pay for it. You will find a 1911 maker to fit ANY budget.

The limited production guns from Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, and Nighthawk are all good guns no question about it. But is a $3,200.00 Wilson twice or as good as a $1,600.00 Dan Wesson Valor - Not a chance! The best 1911 I ever tried out was an Evolution Gun Works (EGW) built bullseye gun, built back when EGW still built guns, now they are strictly a parts manufacturer. Their shop used to be down the street from where I used to live and George Smith the Pres., is the nicest, most knowledgable person left to discuss the 1911 subject. This particular gun was a Colt Gov't Series 80 frame & slide, and everything else on that gun was custom fitted & tuned.

Last edited:

fire4606

Thanks for the info guys, I was interested if it was a great deal for a Wilson 1911, but what I found out was these were selling new for $2300 back in 2008, found multiple 1911 forum archives stating price in that timeframe....so it's not a great deal to me....

Think I'll save my money for a new V-BOB that I was wanting anyway

Last edited:

rt11002003

I've often considered a more expensive 1911 than the STI RangeMaster and the Dan Wesson Guardian of mine. But, my first purchased 1911 was a Springfield RangeOfficer, on which I had a local gunsmith do a $50 trigger job.

The Springfield probably shoots as good as any of my 1911's, at least in my hands. The STI and DW have nicer machining and finish.

Since my primary use is shooting, anything more is something I don't want to pay for. But, I do like looking at those guns with custom finishes, etc. I like Wilson enough to have an order in for their Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical 9mm.

BigJimP

Wilson Combat's guns are worth every penny you pay for them in my view !

New guns will sell at or above MSRP....or current lead time for a new order is about 18 months.

Are there decent guns out there for less money - sure../ are they as good as Wilson's guns, no, not by a long shot ! ( and that includes Les Baer and Nighthawk in my view ). A close 2nd to Wilson's guns are Ed Brown in my view...( I currently own a pair of Wilson's 5" guns one in 9mm and one in .45 acp - and they are two of the finest guns in my safe - look good, accurate and reliable - one of them over 85,000 rds and one over 25,000 )...I have one Ed Brown, one Les Baer and I'll never buy another Brown or Baer over a Wilson - and I'd be happy to wait 18 months if I had to. Buddies that have Nighthawks - have had a number of minor issues with them - and I'll never buy one.

Spend your money the way you see fit / and so will I.

I have other high end semi-autos .....Sig X-Five L1 model ( but its not better than either Wilson I have ) even though its a very unique gun with an adjustable trigger, single action, double stack...current MSRP is $ 2,747...mine is in .40 S&W and I like it a lot ..../ a Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II model in .45 acp that today MSRP is $2,251 ...nice looking gun, I sent it to Wilson to change out trigger and all the springs, etc when it was 6 months old - decent gun, better now after Wilson did the work on it - much better trigger - but not better than my Wilsons.....( but that's my opinion )...

If I wanted a decent gun for the money ..in .45 acp.. I'd buy a Springfield TRP...with all the same features I'd want on a Wilson ...ambi safety, night sights, mag well, cocking serrations on slide, checkering on front strap....but I don't really think it will hold up to 80,000 plus rounds...or be as accurate as my Wilsons.../ but if I was on a budget, I'd buy one.