Need Info on titanium S&W .357 snubs

FLA2760

:confused:
Hi
I am going to purchase a Smith & Wesson .357 Titanium snub soon. I have heard that some of these had problems of metal fatigue or accelarated wear.
I will be getting a shrouded hammer model. Which madels should I stay away from? Thank you. :D

Steve

bk83gold

Hey Steve,
I own a Scandium and Titanium S&W model 386sc mountain light. It is a 3 1/8" .357 mag. I love the gun, you don’t even you are carrying it. I have shot well over 800 rds in the last 2 weeks :eek: . The only problem I had was the cylinder would unscrew after 50 shots. I put a very small amount of the light weight lock tight on the push rod threads and I was good to go. Hope this helps.

Brandon

KIKIguana

titanium is iffy....the propellent gasses for a reloaded shell can eventually corrode the cylinder....plus it has more kickback :D

tanstaafl4y

Not exactly related to you question.

I have a SW model 60. J frame 2" .357. I've owned this revolver for 3 months. I have shot exclusively 158gr .38 spc and 125gr .38scp+p. Well, on a whim I loaded it up with 158gr semi jac HP .357 Magnums. Now I'll admit those are high test rounds but they shoot great from my 4" K-frame.

I took up a good solid 2 handed grip. Brought the hammer back and WHAMMO. Oh I hit dead center on a target at 10 yards but there is no way I would have gotten off a second shot. Not a lot of muzzle rize but it sure torqued sideways in my hand and some how the trigger guard whacked the tip of my index finger. I had to repeat this experiment 14 more times before my fingertip was sore and throbbing.

Anyway my point is I couldn't imagine what if would be like to fire one of those light revolvers with a "full strength" load.

Clemson

My Model 342 Ti cylinder is going strong after 6 years.

If the cylinder were to erode, the gun has a lifetime warrantee. Go ahead and get it -- nothing else comes close in capability for weight.

Clemson

strong gun/punishing recoil

I have a SW 360 kit gun in .357 magnum that has held up for countless rounds. It's only 12oz unloaded, so you barely know it's on your hip when you carry it...but it kicks like a mule when you light off magnum rounds. The scandium/titanium revolvers are very strong and they should hold up for many years of use.

I carry mine a lot and fire it more than most who have them (as I live out in the country where it gets a lot of field use). The recoil is severe to say the least, and that is what turns people off to them. It is not that they are of inferior quality or that they are made of inherently weak materials. I recommend them highly and if the recoil gets to you try .38 +P loads. Not for the recoil sensitive!

bk83gold

I shoot 357's out of my 386 mountain light all day long. Does it Kick like a mule? YES but if you can shoot a 44 mag or a 454 then the 357 is not so bad in my opinion. I have even shot the 357 with one hand and I was ok. For cost effective shooting I shoot the 38 and 38+P when I target shoot.

Brandon

Boarhunter

I own Smith's 26 oz .44 magnum, 24 oz .45 acp revolver, and 12 oz .357 mag snubby and have never had a bit of trouble out of any of them from a mechanical standpoint. They are all great guns for their intended purpose. They are lifetime "keepers" for me. I have taken Russian Boar with the .44 mag, have shot plenty of targets with the acp (and carried it concealed for the longest during the cooler months), and have shot the .357 the least and carried it the most (in a pocket Safariland holster). Of them, the .45 acp revolver is the easiest to shoot by far, and the .357 the most difficult to shoot...by far. In fact, it is the most painful handgun to shoot with mags that I have ever experienced (and I have fired 4" .500 mags and BFR .45/70s). About 10 rounds is all I can get through it, before the hands quake so bad I can no longer write or pull the trigger. But it was not made to shoot. It was made to carry. A lot. So I do, and every month or two put a cylinderful of mag ammo (5 rounds) downrange to ensure I still have what it takes to properly control it.

The bottom line, these are all great guns for their intended purpose, but they are not general purpose firearms....

Boarhunter