Need Info on Three .45s

McKamie Wilson

I'm looking for any experience you folks may have had with the following three handguns:

Beretta Cougar .45 ACP
S&W Chuef's Special .45 ACP (CS45)
SIG P245

Flamers please do not respond. I don't want to start another range war. I'm looking for direct first hand user responses only.:)

Mac

loknload

Three .45's

Well McKamie, I can attest to the Cougar and the Smith, I don't own a Sig :rolleyes:
I own both the 8040 and the 8045, They are both good handguns in my opinion and both shoot well. I like the Cougar series handguns ;) I like the way they fit my hand and are very comfortable to shoot.
As far as the Smith, I don't like it and the only reason I still have it is the fact that it carries the Chief Special name, I collect them. I don't believe it to be a good quality handgun for the money and I think your money would be better spent with the Beretta or the Sig ;)
Just my thoughts FWIW :)

McKamie Wilson

loknload:

Thanks for the information. I had put the Cougar as third on my list, but you and a couple of friends share the same high opinion of it (and the Smith, I might add), so I'm going to have to raise it up. I had used a SIG P220 for 10 years, so I'm slightly biased, but I remain open at this point. ;)

Thanks.

Mac

LeadPumper

Cougar...

Of the three you mentioned, the only one I own is the Cougar. It is a fine weapon (Italian version), that has never failed or hiccuped in any way.

It is a little large for a mid frame auto; but it does have a good grip angle, though a little fat with the double stack mag. The rotating barrel does soak up some recoil, but the gun maintains a lot of muzzle rise.

It was one of the first guns I bought, I like it a lot, but don't shoot it much anymore. Why? I bought a Kimber; better feel, less muzzle rise, and I can get ten round mags for it. The Beretta holds 8 rounders only.

Your mileage may vary.

-LeadPumper

m14nut

Own the Sig 245:D love it . 1000 rounds and it keeps gettin' smoooooother and smooooother! No B.S., I have not had a malfunction with this pistol yet. Have fed it every concievable type of ammo to try to make it slip and it performs like the Ener. bunny! While on vacation, this is the ONLY handgun i will carry[ Jersey says only cops and criminals can carry]:mad:
I have the 220, the 229 and just got a 226, but the 245 is my FAV!

McKamie Wilson

Thanks for the responses, folks.

To Blades67: These three seemed a good place to start. My primary is a SIG P220 and regardless of what else I shoot, I am most comfortable with it. Plus, I like the .45 ACP cartridge and I'm very familiar with bullet weights, types, loadings, etc. I have a .40 S&W, a .357 SIG, a .38 Spl, and a .357 MAG. They're all nice, but the P220 is my baby primarily because it is so comfortable.

I was just looking for something smaller for a daily carry. You got any suggestions?

Mac

trapshooter

I can't speak to the Cougar or the Smith, but I do like my P245. It has the best trigger of any DA/SA pistol I have ever shot.

jar

They are all really good pistols, but the 245 will use the same manual of arms that you're used to with the 220. In an emergency that could be a real advantage.

McKamie Wilson

JAR: Once a long time ago in a land far, far away, I knew the manual of arms for the M-14, M-16, M-1 Carbine, M-79, 1911, two types of wire-cutters, and both Phillips and flatblade screwdrivers. They each had their use. You make a Good Point, however, I don't see the necessity. ;)

Mark IV Series 80: Glocks are nice, but the 36 doesn't have quite enough to hold on to without a mag extension.

Mac

My choice of the three would be the Beretta Cougar. I shot very well with the one I used.

The 245 is a decent gun, but doesn't sit well in my hand.

The S&W Chief's Special? A chunk of 4x4 lumber has better handling characteristics.