Need info on Savage Rifle

Glenner

I'm looking at a Savage rifle, the barrel reads '' Model 110 S, Series J ''.
It's a 22' heavy barrel in.308.

Can you guys tell me what the twist in that barrel would be???

The guy says it's a '' Silhouette Model '', it also come with an interesting stock. He calls it a Wundhammer Swell Grip with Stippling.
It looks to be in very good shape, would something like this be worth $450?
I sure appreciate any help!!!
Thanks!!!

HOGGHEAD

Rifle

I have a LH Sil. rifle that was made by Anschutz and imporetd by Savage. However it is a 22LR. It has the exact stock that you are talking about.

I know they had some Sil. models available that were made by Anschutz. But I have never seen a 110 like that. It must be an older model with the long action. Is the action a long action??

That rifle could be a dandy, but I would need to see a picture of it to know for sure. Hopefuilly someone on here has one and can give you more information than what I did. Sorry, Tom.

HOGGHEAD

Action

Looks like a long action to me. I would say it is a spinoff of a 110-E. I would pass for $450. $200-$300 would be better. Just my opinion. Tom.

Glenner

I got fat fingers, I meant to say he wants $350, not $450..............
Any idea on twist with this model?

Wyngnut

On Savage's website the 10FP has a 1 in 10" twist for .308, it's 1 in 9" for .223.

I am not seeing a 110S in .308, but I would suspect it has the same rate of twist as the 10FP in .308.

.../shrug

SavageMOA

.308 is a short action round. Same as my Savage 12 in .223. It's most likely a model 10 instead of a 110. If so, it's a 1 in 10" twist rate. I'd check the bore and throat on a rifle that old to check on wear.

Jimro

As far as I know all Savage barrels in 308 have a 1:10 twist.

Savage did offer the 308 in a long action. Don't know why they did this but they did.

I wouldn't worry too much about twist rate in a 308, it's pretty forgiving with anything from 1:10 to 1:14.

For the price, 350, it is a good deal.

Jimro

skinewmexico

Prior to Savage was making the J action, all of their short action cartridges were built on the 110 (long) action. The J action was a 110 also. They used a spacer in the mag box, and a stop on the bolt for SA cartridges, but they were all 110s.