Need info on an Antionio Zoli 16 Gauge SxS

Rome

Hi all,

Well, I've got the "find" of the year but need some help if anyone can provide it.

I've just purchased a never-fired Antonio Zoli 16 Gauge side by side with exposed hammers. Here's a couple of pictures:

on%20mount%20snall.jpg

right%20side%20small.jpg

I can provide other photos if necessary.

Now, I've discovered the Zoli website and have already sent them an email about 2 weeks ago. They are pretty poor in replying, however, as I've discovered from other researchers of Zoli weapons. I've also done weeks of 'net searching but can not find anything at all about Zoli making anything in 16 gauge at all, nevermind side by side or exposed hammers.

I know that this shotgun was custom made in 1992 or 93 for a CEO as a gift from his company as a testimonial and it was never fired. As you can see it even has a display placque. There are no external markings other than the decorative ones. The only ID markings are exposed when you take the shotgun apart. It's clearly marked Antonio Zoli (not Anthony Zoli), has chrome lined barrels and will take 3" shells. There is a serial number, of course, and it's in the 43000 area but I don't know if that's significant. I know also that Antonio Zoli does have a custom shop but can't find any data about it.

I've shown this to three other knowledgable fellows and they all agree that it's extremely finely made and is worth a few bucks.

I'd very much like to shoot this shotgun. I don't collect wallhangers. Otoh, I don't want to ruin a weapon that is worth big bucks. If that's the case, I'd rather sell it and buy something I can feel comfortable using for upland birds. I've got a 12 gauge semi but wanted to shoot a smaller caliber but not as small as 20. This shotgun just landed in my lap by pure luck and I paid a very low price for it.

Can anyone out there provide me with what something like this may go for? I'm not looking for a valuation for any other reason than to determine if I can accept shooting it.

ANY information any of you might be able to provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rome

Rome

Remeasured......2 3/4" is max

Well, you're right. I measured and found that indeed the max shell is 2 3/4". Thanks.

Rome

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Try the BB over on the Shooting Sportsman site. They love doubles, and especially 16 gauge hammer guns. If it is a very valuable collector vs a nice shooter, you may find a buyer.

And while I understand not shooting a piece of history, I'd find it hard to not use this at least once!

Rome

Let me tell you Dave, I've got a box of shells just itching to go. I've loaded and unloaded that thing a dozen times. It's like a watch it's so well made.

Frankly, I'm hoping that it isn't worth all that much so I can go out and enjoy it. I'll be a sweet shooter, that's for sure!

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I've researched the Zoli there and found a couple of posts but nothing on any sxs 16 gauges. I'm going to post there, too, however, in hopes that someone may know somthing.

I'm still holding out that the my fellow shooters here at TFL will be able to turn me onto some hard data.

Thanks!

Rome

C.R.Sam

Since it is probably unique and from the custom shop....
Probably not worth much over $25,000 or so.

try...
Cape Outfitters, INC
599 Country Rd. #206
Cape Giradeau, MO. 63701
Phone 573-335-4103
Fax.....573-335-1555
Web www.capeoutfitters.com
email jmayfield@capeoutfitters.com

Or...
ZOLI, ANTONIO
Via Zanardelli, 39
1-25063 Gardone V.T. (BS) ITALY
Fax 011-39-30-891-1165

I would go fax or snail mail to both.

Sam

Rome

I just emailed MR. Mayfield hoping that he can help out. I've already Emailed Zoli but will call them after the holidays if nothing else pans out.

$25K?????? I don't think so but who the heck knows??

Rome

C.R.Sam

Their special order, custom, guns seem to run from 45 grand upwards.

Since each is made to an individual customer's taste and specifications, they generally run around half the original cost on the resale market....in pristine condition of course.

Market being, of course, what one will pay at a given time.

Sam

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
Maybe this will assist you in your quest.
As you mention, "custom gun" puts it in a catagory of it's own. Here is what I have on Antonio Zoli

NOTE: No mention of 16 GA

HJN

Rome

Thanks for the post, Harley. As it turns out, there are no distributors left on this side of the pond anymore. It would also appear that Zoli, themselves, are not interested in helping any Zoli owners here, either. So, I'm having to rely on help from the vast member base here at TFL and a couple of other forums.

To date, no one has ever seen another shotgun like this from Antonio Zoli. That has two consequences. 1) It's extremely rare as it could be a "one off" or 2) it's worthless as a collectable and can just be enjoyed for what it is, a nice 16 gauge side by side that no one else has. That covers a lot of territory, in my book.

So, I'll continue to research it as best I can. I may even try to enlist someone from the town where Zoli is located to see if they can garner info for me but that's going to be a longshot! (no pun intended!!)

IF any of you reading this post can provide any other suggestions or information, regardless how trivial, it would be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks!

Rome

C.R.Sam

Phone call...

Or double spaced snail mail letter oft gets results where emails are lost in the shuffle.

Fax has often worked well for me too when workin with Europe.

Write big and leave plenty of space between the lines. The fax or letter may have to be translated at the other end. Helps them if it can be done on the same piece of paper.

Sam