Need info on 44 S&W Russian Model 3

Musgrove

:) I own a 44 S&W Russian Model 3 ? with 6 1/2 or 7 " barrel depending on where you measure. It is top break-was nickled plated at one time, some spots still on it.Have3 bullets for it. In good to fair condition mechincaley. I fired it about 15 years ago and worked fine. This gun belonged to my Grandfather and when I was about 6 or 7 years old I saw him target practice with it. Have no idea how long he had it.( by the way I am 81 now ) Serial #is0488XX.
Question?? Would like to know how old it is?
Could it be one of the orginnal purchased by the Russian
Have some history on how it came about being Rus-Model
estimated valve?
Thanks
RiverRat

Sam06

To be sure you would have to know what was written on the top of the barrel. The SSN's are kind of confusing in that model. Some photos would help.

Here are some Questions about it to narrow it down some:

Does it have the knuckle on the trigger guard?
Does it say "reissue" on the top of the barrel with the patent date?

It could be one of several types of #3 S&W revolvers.

Sam

Jim Watson

Pictures would be a big help.

I don't know why there is any doubt about the barrel length. Measure from the cylinder face to the muzzle. A true 7" would be a rarity.

There are several variants, the old, old model Russian that looks like an American but in .44 Russian caliber, the old model Russian with long ejector housing, and the Russian with short ejector but still the typical hump at the top of the grip and trigger guard spur.
Then there is the No 3 New Model. They sold those up until about 1912, but all the frames had been made before 1899 and are considered antiques.