Need Help

bosipipes

Anybody now where I can buy Berdan primers for the 7.5 x55 . I have been searching the net for days with no luck.

bosipipes AT sbcglobal.net

Ken O

I bought Berdan primers from BrassmanBrass.com. Its not on his website, you have to call and order them.

T. O'Heir

Reloading berdan primed brass is more trouble than it's worth. 7.5 x 55 boxer primed brass is readily available too. Not exactly cheap though. Midway wants $21.49 per 20 or $96.99 per 100 for Norma brass.
Berdan primers are made in several sizes that have nothing to do with large and small. However, if you insist, Magtech sells one size of berdan primer.

Ken O

T O'Heir, what problem did you have? Let us know and we can probably help you out.
Berdans take a little longer to decap, but not much. I don't have any special equipment. The GP11 ammo is good to shoot, and great brass also, a shame to waste it. If you want my method let me know, its pretty simple.
I use the Lee Auto prime to prime them, everything else is the same. I have been loading with Varget and Remington 165 PSP bullets, it shoots real well.

Linear Thinker

Kirk,
Don't bother. 7.5 Swiss Boxer brass is common nowadays, Grafs has it at a reasonable price. I've tried reloading 7.5x55 Berdan brass a long time ago, it was a pain. Tried water, tried drilling and hooking, the primers were a witch to get out. I bought RWS Berdan primers from Dangerous Dave (Old Western Scrounger), but I am not sure he is in business any longer.
Unless your spare time is infinite, the Boxer brass is the way to go.
LT

Last edited:

Hawg

A lot of Berdan primed brass has the primers staked making it a PITA to get out. Do yourself a favor and get boxer primed brass.

bosipipes

I do load new 7.5 Swiss brass, but I also have a lot of gp-11 brass that is way to nice to disregard. I use the water method to deprime with excellent results. as for loading the new primers I believe I should be able to use the lee auto prime. Am I correct on that.

Scorch

I doubt you could use a Lee Autoprime, since it uses a guide sleeve to align the primers for seating. The OD on a Berdan primer is different than the OD on a Boxer primer. Same goes for ram priming tools.

You can buy Hornady Metric ammunition in 7.5X55mm, it's quite reasonably priced (compared to Norma). Then you could just go about reloading it and not have to worry about decapping/seating Berdan primers. Been there, done that, never again.