Need help with SKS scope mount

Darren007

Theyre isnt. Unless you want to fashion a mount and drill and mount it on to the stock. Tapco also has a replacement handguard (it replaces the wooden portion attached to the gas tube) that has a weaver rail molded on to it. But i couldnt tell you how well they work.

Dont even think about buying one of those scope mounts that mount to or replace the bolt shroud. Unless you want to spend time at the range rezeroing after every shot and looking like a complete ignoramus.:p

chris in va

Ditto. I tried using one of those cover mounts, kept shifting every shot.

I'd recommend getting TechSights over a scope for the SKS anyway.

cohoskip

The Scout Mount looks like a winner. It would work great with a red dot sight, but I want a little magnification - would need a LER scope alright. I do have the TechSight on it.
Thanx for the help guys...

King Ghidora

You can get a scope mounted well on an SKS but it will take some expertise. The scope mount on this web page will do an excellent job once you get it installed. It invovles drilling into the receiver though and the holes must be properly aligned. It would be a real good idea to get a gunsmith to do it. But once you get it installed it is an excellent mount for a scope.

The scout mounts are the second best choice. They mount where your rear sight mounts. But from what I hear then have some problems holding zero too. They won't be as bad as the top cover mounts though. Those things are useless. Some of the top cover mounts come with a new top cover that has screws to hold it in place. They are slightly better than the top cover mounts without the screws but neither is a really good choice.

King Ghidora

You can find a scout style mount that gets mentioned often on this web page. It mounts to the rear sight on an SKS. It's said to be easier to mount and it's also possible to switch out the rails without losing zero on whatever scopes you might want to use. Who knows if that is true or not.

cohoskip

I did find detailed instructions on installing the Choate mount. It is a little work, but looks like a good system. The author said there was no problem with losing zero while firing...

King Ghidora

You can take one look at how that Choate mounts and tell that it isn't going to move around any. It's mounted into the receiver solidly so there's just no way for it to move unless it's mounted wrong.

MrNiceGuy

Dont even think about buying one of those scope mounts that mount to or replace the bolt shroud. Unless you want to spend time at the range rezeroing after every shot and looking like a complete ignoramus.

i keep hearing this, but i also keep shooting ~4" groups at 100 yards without ever re-zeroing. it's more accurate than i am and i've seen better shooters tighten that group up using my rifle.

~1500 rounds since i zero'd it, still as accurate as the day i fitted the cover to the sks. perhaps people are using cover mounts that have been fitted for a different rifle? or perhaps they just didnt fit it properly to begin with?
i dont know why others have problems, but mine sure doesnt

bejay

havent had a problem with the receiver cover mounts either but could see how it could lose zero if you removed it and reinstalled for cleaning the rifle have had no problems with it losing zero from just shooting it.
have also installed one similiar to the choate mount wich required drilling and tapping the receiver and trimming the stock for clearing the mount and it is stable after using loctite on the screws but after using both I think that the sks is probably better off with no scope at all.