Need help with shifting POI

moosemike

I just got a Remington 721 30-06. At the range I discovered it will start shooting a nice group but then unexplainedly it will start shooting another group 2" over. Sometimes it will just throw a flyer. I thought the scope was toast so I removed it and used the iron sights. The same thing happened. It fired a nice 3 shot group the 2" to the right it fired a nice 2 shot group. Is this a stock bedding problem? If it is can somebody provide me with a link about how to glass bed stocks. Thanks in advance.

Jimro

You can google "glass bed a rifle" and get all the instruction you want.

Try a different lot of ammunition to see if that has the same problem.

Jimro

Scorch

Two most likely possibilities:
1- You have a loose scope base or ring. Take the scope off, remove the rings and bases, clean everything, reassemble using blue LocTite.

2- Your bedding is either loose or fits poorly. Tighten the action screws. If the t does not fix the issue, consider floating the barrel or bedding the rifle.

moosemike

I've tried four different loads and it does the same thing. The scope mounts are fine and it does the same thing with the iron sights.

ColdBore

I ran into a similar problem last summer. I have a custom rifle (trued) and for a year, she fired very tight groups. Then she was laying radical groups as large as 6" at 100 yards! My action screws had worked loose to the point I could literally slide the barrel back and forth up to a millimeter.
Considering you already said you removed the scope and fired with the iron sights; with the same results, the scope isn't your problem. As Scorch said with #2, check your screws.
If you're firing at relatively close ranges (100 yards or so) a bedding problem shouldn't cause a grouping variance as drastic as 2".
If you can't identify the problem, I would take it to a gunsmith and have him take a look.

Good luck.

How long are you waiting between shots when shooting for groups?

Reason I ask, is that your barrel may be heating up, changing the harmonics and causing those 2 rounds to have a different POI than when the barrel was cooler when the first 3 shots were fired...

Jimro

moosemike,

If you've tried four loads with the same results that would have been helpful in your original post.... Out of curiousity what four loads did you try?

So you have tested the load, you have tested the scope by using irons, the next thing to do is dissassemble and reassemble your rifle.

A bedding problem would manifest itself by giving you either stringing or a large group.

I would shoot a three shot group. Wait a half hour, shoot another three shot group. If that solves your problem you have a barrel heating issue. If that doesn't solve your problem then look at having the rifle bedded.

Jimro

taylorce1

Should have kept that M670 Winchester .270 instead of trading like I suggested.;) Other than that, sorry to hear about your problems. Try everything suggested and if that doesn't work take it to a smith. Unfortunatly it is probably something simple that will drive you nuts until you figure it out.

moosemike

I've tried handloads and Federal factory loads. I just got done free floating the barrel. I'll see tomorrow if that helps. I also do believe I was shooting my groups too quickly (meaning I didn't let the barrel cool too much, maybe ten minutes between groups) today and will slow down tomorrow.

moosemike

The relief work I did on the stock really helped. I let the barrel cool between groups and didn't experience any fliers today.

Jimro

moosemike,

Now fire the for groups quickly. If you get a second group it is definitely barrel heating.

I don't think it was your bedding because normally that gives you a stringing issue, not two distinct groups (but there is an exception to every rule..)

Jimro

Jimro

For barrel heating there isn't much to do but shoot slower.

BUT, you can try to do a pressure bedding job to see if that helps. Now that you've free floated the barrel take a few business cards and shim them between the very tip of the forend and shoot for group that way.

A pressure bedding job works like your fingers between the frets on a guitar string, the same string makes different tones because it the shorter you make the string vibrate the higher the pitch.

You can add or subtract cards until you find the sweet spot for pressure FOR THE LOAD YOU ARE USING AT THE TIME!!! (this is important to remember). Once you find the thickness you need, make a permanent shim out of balsa wood, plastic, or even epoxy and stick it in there. Then shoot again to verify the group is still good.

If that doesn't work then a stress free full length bedding job might help.

Jimro

Slamfire

My M700 Classic in 6.5 Swede clearly strung shots hortizontally and vertically.

Rem70065SwedeFullLength9.jpg

ReducedBGlass140SMK391AA2700.jpg

I created Bisonite Pillars fore and aft.

PillarsbeforeroutingDSCN8708.jpg

I relieved the barrel channel until I could side a piece of paper between the barrel and stock without binding. The barrel was pressure bedded from the factory and touched the side of the stock channel.

ReducedBarrelChannelrelievedDSCN870.jpg

I routed one heck of a lot of wood around the front pillar. The final bedding looks like drippy peanut butter and I am too vain to show a picture of my sloppy bedding job.

GoodpictureofroutedfrontpillarDSCN8.jpg

But it shoots good enough to brag on the target.

Reduced140Hornady43AA4350t2.jpg

moosemike

Is glass bedding actually better than free floating? Or is glass bedding something you do when free floating doesn't solve the problem?