need help with pistol id....and appx value..

fubsy

I ran accross a 5 screw s/w in 22cal. appx 90-95 finish, action tight and original wood grips, recessed cylinder....I believe it was flat accross the top of the barrel, it did have a partridge front sight pinned in a base on the front.......and the finish was that flat blue look that older s/w's, like the k38 masterpieces use to have....acutually the pistol resembled the k38 except for caliber........what model could this be........guy wants $395 for it..tks fubsy.

sw627pc

Sounds like a K-22 Masterpiece. Looks just like the K-38 Masterpiece but in .22 LR. I have one (and a Combat Masterpiece to match). Wonderful little guns. Wouldn't give either one up. The Masterpiece should be a six inch barrel with a Patridge front sight. The Combat Masterpiece is a four inch barrel with a ramped front sight. The pre-war Masterpiece's didn't have a top rib (round barrel). Post war guns got a top rib.

Oh yes, price is about average (maybe a bit high - but not much).

fubsy

thanks for theprompt reply....this one is the 6" although I wouldnt mind having a 4" as well....I wasnt aware that they had changed the production of the mdl with first the round and then the flat barrel......either way it sure looks like a great little pistol....I think it maybe a little high, but how often do you run accross them, eh........tks for the help....fubsy.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Those are fine guns and if you want to learn double action shooting, I can surely recommend the K-22. S&W also made a K-32 (.32 S&W Long) for a long time; it was liked by folks who wanted to compete in center fire matches without the recoil of the .38. They varied the width of the ribs so that the three "Masterpiece" guns had the same weight.

Jim

fubsy

Well Jim thanks for the info on the different models, and I suppose after 30 years of shooting revolvers dbl action I could sharpen my technique a little...tks..fubsy.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Fubsy,

I probably have more double action time than that, and I still get out the K-22 every once in a while, when I want to skip the recoil and blast of the bigger guns and just have fun.

Jim

fubsy

Jim,

I'm right there with ya....I like the 22 for the practice it can give as well, Ive shots bricks at one sitting in those old arroyos outside of Elpaso, it was some of the fond memories that I recall.....I would like to have another k-frame 22 as well, what was that the mdl 17.......anyway....I miss all those ole 22 pistols Ive gotten rid of........heck for that matter if I had been able to keep every firearm Ive owned, there would be very few I would be buying now adays.......but I guess we've all been there...

ED, I had a little j-frame kit gun in .22 that had to have been one of the most accurate little pistols I have ever owned.....wish I still had the little bugger.......

....fubsy...